Login

Joshua:
Farside, Watch you tongue brother, your sneared comments and mocking (even though you think we don't pick up on it) comments are no called for... All of these posts have been really good on either side... However, there's alot left unturned... I am Southern Baptist, and I am finishing my Bachelors from Liberty University, in Lynchbrug virginia... We covered this VERY extensively because basically it's a hot button topic.. Believe it or not MOST baptists do not believe gifts have ceased... You'd be surprised how many believe they still exists... Some of the major differences are between certain denominations of Baptists though... For instance the Southern Baptist's might have a general difference in belief on this issue then say the Independant or Freewill baptist movement... Also, Lutherans, Catholics, AND Presbyterians around the US have had Charasmatic movements happening in their churches... The catholic's movement has REALLY tore alot of Churches apart too.... HOWEVER< getting that out... and getting on topic I must say that Personally I do not feel gifts are gone.... YES, God COULD have taken them away once scripture was revealed in it's entirety, and YES he's got the power to do so even though his nature never changes... But, biblically, IF the gifts were going to pass away after Paul & the apostles don't you think that Paul wouldn't have wrote to the Corinthians telling them to eagerly seek the gifts... Really, I mean, if Jesus had said something about Miraculous signs leaving it WOULD have been note worthy... Instead the scriptures state that he told the Apostles that they will do GREATER things then he.... However, trying to combat some of the arguments... I do believe the scripture in Hewbrews was perhaps a weaker argument... I realize that the post was probably just written to get the ball rolling, but, I mean that's a sketchy verse you know.... I mean, to go against a commandment given by an Apostle, leader of the church I need more then a "could be...couldn't be" type of verse..... I mean a commandment from a Apostle... TO ME, carries more weight then a verse which can be easily meant for two different things.. or be interpreted two different ways..... NOW, in order to make this more interesting...Let me put THIS out there.. How come so many Charasmatics believe and use Pauls scriptures but REFUSE to abide by the other commands given in reference to the use of them.... Such as no more then three people speaking in tongues in a service, and having an interpreter present???? Puzzles me how some of these "Charas-mania" churches can sit there and condemn believe who don't pracitce gifts when they practice them in a such a way that they actually go against Pauls commands AND scare of people who are truly seeking Christ... That to me the biggest issue... lol ....When is the PERSONAL edification ever more important then the salvation of a seeking person???....NEver Jesus' last commandments were to making people speak in tongues, but to make disciples and baptist them.. Thats the great commandment... the number one priority.... When ever gifts push away someone who would have been saved if used properly then that persons responsible for that seekers soul in my opinion.... Fun posts thus far... im excited to see this warm up... :P

Post edited by: admin, at: 2006/06/17 01:33

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)