Login

MaddMatt:
[b]MisterNathan wrote:[/b] [quote]Okay, so, we have the Bosom of Abraham. It's where the righteous of the time went when they died, prior to Jesus' death and resurrection. This was also called Paradise by Jesus when He was about to die on the cross. So, where did people go before there was a "bosom of Abraham"? Where did Adam and Noah and all those guys go?[/quote] Mister Nathan... you deserve an up front answer to your fantastic question. I do not know that I am qualified to respond, so I was hoping someone else would... But I will give it a shot. My problem is that I do not knoe Greek or Hebrew... So take what I say with speculation, and maybe research it a little bit. Before Abraham people died. So your question is, if I understand it, "What happened to the "righteous" that died before Abraham? Where did they go? There are several words used in Scripture to describe the afterlife. It was very common in Jewish beliefs that they were not "one in the same." The Jews believed that there was "Sheol" and "Gehenna." Sheol was thought to be a "resting" place where there was no torment, and there they would remain asleep. Gehenna was Hell, torture, torment etc... Now, this is all fine and dandy until the New Testament comes along, and then Sheol's meaning changes. Sheol in the new testament is used to describe the seplicur (sp) or the grave... the actual earthly tomb. In the Old Testement though, it was used as an actual "afterlife" we see this in Job, when he talks about going there"... we see it in Genesis: Jacob learns of Josephs death, and he says that he will "Go down" to sheol... He uses a definate direction, and is specific in the Hebrew that Sheol is an actual place he is traveling "to." Genesis 37: 35and all his sons and all his daughters rise to comfort him, and he refuseth to comfort himself, and saith, `For -- I go down mourning unto my son, to Sheol,' and his father weepeth for him. (Youngs Literal Translation) So... I do not know if this answers your question.. or gives you some direction to search. Honestly, I have never thouhgt about your question before, and I am only typing this as I think about it... so please feel free to correct me! -Matt

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)