Login

allwaysmiling06:
Im taking this feminist honors class so I can get the credit I need... We started talking about women in scripture and the amazing, respectable Lilith came up! *Sarcasm people!* If you have no idea who LILITH is look the legend/myth of lilith up... if you need some laughter ..it will perk you right up! Heres a basic gist: Lilith tells the story of “the first woman,” and wife of Adam. She represents the seductress woman, who was condemned by “God” for being an independent female, by not subjecting herself to Adam and his wishes. ______________________________________________________________________ Ah! to of been Adam's first wife! The women in my class praised lilith for her beauty, power, and not bowing down to adam as his lesser partner. I however read my response paper proving just one point that they quoted a part of scripture wrong in the text and no one said anything.... i just got a room full of glares... These are some of the argument questions I recieved... So what do you think??? -Lilith myth or fact??? What is the purpouse of it? -What would you of done?? Kept quite for stand up for what you believe or think is right?? -My professor pointed out... Who is the "our"???The Holy Spirit and Christ were added on later in the New Testament times by Christians. - 4 versions of the bible... and they were just conglomerated into whatever version they wanted.... -There really isnt any proof proving the Old Testament is true... -Pauls letters were not written by paul... but by folowers... -Why does the bible show women in a negative aspect... _______________________________________________________________________ Here was my short response paper to Lilith: The Hebrew Myth of Lilith is thought to have been written between the 8th or 10th century. It tells the story of “the first woman,” and wife of Adam. She represents the seductress woman, who was condemned by “God” for being an independent female, by not subjecting herself to Adam and his wishes. One particular text claims that Adam was a hermaphrodite that would be later divided into two, the separated part becoming Eve. It uses Genesis 1:26, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.’ Thus he was made both male and female and was only divided later.”(see Lilith pg 140) In fact they have quoted scripture incorrectly Genesis 1:26 says, “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in Our image, in Our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground. So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created him, male and female He created them.”(New International Version) In the text, man is a generic term used to describe both men and women. So what does it mean “...in our own likeness?” The Bible is actually referring to the spiritual image of God, rather than physical. God does not have an actual body such as mentioned in scripture. It is His characteristics we see reflected into ourselves such as personality, truth, wisdom, love, holiness, and justice which gives us the desire and capacity for spiritual fellowship. Unlike animals God made humans distinctively different; we can interact with God in a way animals can not. Take away our physical shells and it’s the inward personality-what makes you, you,- that defines the likeness of God. Both men and women have the emotional attributes of God just man (male and female) have a shadowed view of what God is because of sin. Once you put a male and female together their view becomes a little more clearer of what God is really like but their view wont be entirely clear until sin is gone.

Post edited by: allwaysmiling06, at: 2006/09/19 20:33

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)