Login

Silent-K:
Y'know there was one (I think important) part of the OP that has generally been ignored in this thread and I'd like to bring it into the discussion. [b]theycallherlove wrote:[/b] [quote]So why is it that gay's are always being attacked by the church?[/quote] Now I think it's fair to say that [i]most[/i] of the people that consider themselves evangelical Christians are opposed to homosexuality and believe it is a sin (as I do). Research conducted by the Barna Group, found that for as much as 91% of Americans, outside of the church between the ages of 16 & 29, the first thing that comes to mind when they hear Christian is "antihomosexual". (from the book unChristian by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons p. 28). theycallherlove's stance on the subject is the overwhelmingly popular opinion for her demographic. I'll agree with most of you that righteous zeal against something that is a sin is a good thing. But why is antihomosexuality what we are known for? Why is this what *my* generation defines Christianity as? Was this what the early church was known for? Was this what [i]Christ[/i] was known for? Have we forgotten what we are really about as Christians? [b]I Peter 2:9-12[/b] (ESV) [color=#0000ff]But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 11 Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. 12 Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.[/color] As Kinnaman and Lyons put it [i]We have become famous for what we oppose, rather who we are for.[/i] (unChristian p. 26). We are [i]for[/i] Christ! We are called to proclaim [i]Him[/i] It was He that drew us out of darkness. Without him, we are no better off than those that we are so quick to call judgment on. Let us not too quickly forget that. Rather than attacking gays, should we not show them the same love that Christ showed to us? Remember it's God's job to judge and punish for sin, not ours.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)