Login

Mal316:
Is it freedom from the law or freedom within the law? Because Paul says do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature. Which to me says, you have freedom, not license. You are free to do as you like (all things are lawful) but do not say because you have freedom you can sin all the more (but not all things are beneficial). The law has not been abolished. If there was no law, there'd be no sin. Yet the acts of the sinful nature (sexual immorality, idolatry, hatred, drunkenness, etc.) are all spoken against in the law. Those who indulge the sinful nature (break the law) will not inherit the kingdom of God. Contrast this with the fruit of the Spirit. Interesting, Paul uses the singular fruit, rather than the plural, fruits. Which to me would make more sense. Because Paul lists several different things: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, yet calls them by one singular noun. It's not the fruits of the Spirit, as I might expect, but fruit. As there is one body with many different parts, so there is one fruit with different ... how shall we say...? aspects. The Spirit is contrasted with the sinful nature. To me, Spirit and law are connected. Synonymous? Idk. Try this-in every place in this passage where Paul uses the word "Spirit", try using the word "law". Does that change your understanding or interpretation of the text? To me, Spirit and law are not antagonistic. If you live according to the Spirit, you'll be obeying the law. What is the law? "Love your neighbor as yourself." And if we live by the Spirit (law) we will have love, joy, peace, etc. Lev 26:1-13 and Deut 28:1-13 list blessings for obedience.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)