Login

BrotherReed:
You said you wanted judgment, so here goes :) Btw my list of movies are my personal favorites, not necessarily what movies I feel are the best of all time. Your list is less vulnerable to criticism since the inclusion of foreign movies and older ones (both well-known and slightly less well-known) shows that you know about film or have at least seen a lot of movies. It\'s a reasonably high-brow list without being obscure. You\'d be someone with whom I\'d feel I could talk seriously about film but we\'d probably fight because our preferences are very different. IMO, Jekkie, Pan\'s Labyrinth is the best of your list, followed by Psycho. I also really liked Let the Right One In. Very pleasant surprise there, and the only vampire movie I\'ve ever seen that wasn\'t terrible. I, like javie, am not a big fan of Kubrick. I\'ll acknowledge his importance (and, indeed, 2001 is probably his most important and influential movie) but when I\'m watching a movie I don\'t think \"Wow look how important this is\" and then have my enjoyment go up. Most people either love or hate 2001 - I\'m somewhere in between. I recognize how good it is technically and there\'s quite the tense segment in the middle with HAL and all that. The problem I have with 2001 is that in order to love it I feel you have to let yourself get lost in it, just soak it in and ponder the questions it poses - which would be fine if I could put my mind in neutral and forget what I know about the world. The movie is essentially about evolution and how man progresses from a lower to a higher form of being or consciousness. To me that isn\'t worth 2 1/2 hours of very slow movie. The biggest redeeming value of the film is that it allowed other great movies like Star Wars and Alien to be made. The Fountain is a similar kind of movie so I suspect that you\'re a bit of a sucker for vague, surrealist nonsense (and I mean that in the best possible way). The addition of Mulholland Drive further confirms this. Let\'s face it, Jek... you like the mind**** genre (as I also do), but you just prefer your mind****s as pretentious as possible. Mulholland Dr. while being technically superior to dreck like Donnie Darko is in the same category plot-wise. The virtue of Mulholland Dr is all in its atmosphere. To me the biggest surprise on your list is Once Upon a Time in America over the usual Leone favorites The Good the Bad and the Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West. I haven\'t seen it myself but usually people who favor 2001 also love TGTBATU and usually Paul Thomas Anderson as well. Your list practically cries out for the inclusion of There Will Be Blood. --- Now javie\'s list on the other hand is pure love. Technical or historical achievements are clearly an afterthought in his process. Not one of his top 10 was released prior to 1985 or after 1997 - that\'s only a 12 year span. They\'re all recent, mostly well-loved with a couple of more obscure personal favorites. There\'s an obvious preference for colorful, exaggerated sci-fi (The Fifth Element, Akira, Back to the Future) and comfort movies (Christmas Story, Batman, Breakfast Club). Plus two Christmas movies! Quite unusual. If I had to guess I\'d say you were exposed to 80% of these movies before the age of 12. So nostalgia is playing a huge role. That\'s not necessarily bad and I probably like most or all of these films. It\'s just very limiting and shows, probably, a lack of familiarity with older cinema. Now, granted, the oldest movie on my list is Star Wars which almost doesn\'t count since basically everyone has seen it, so maybe that isn\'t fair. If you expand my list out to 30 or 40 you\'ll see a lot more diversity. Maybe, like me, javie simply knows what he likes and isn\'t afraid to admit it.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)