Login

Jekkie:
Thank ya, Bela Lugosi. I was just thinking we needed this thread a few days ago. :P Anywayzzzzzzzzz... [b]Wristcutters: A Love Story (2006)[/b] It was...decent. The concept was interesting and it had some funny moments. At the same time, though, it felt like the film was going off of the first draft of the script or something. The dialogue and wit was there, but the characters felt like run-of-the-mill dudes you\'d see in those bad movies they play on Comedy Central. They were just so flat and uninteresting. The humor was funny, but in more of a \"Oh, that was clever\" sort of way. I don\'t remember laughing too much. I liked the film for what it was and t=what it set out to do, but the end-result was only a decent flick that could\'ve been mistaken for a student film. [b]M. Hulot\'s Holiday (1953)[/b] I really, really, really don\'t understand the appeal of this film. Granted, I like the character of M. Hulot (you have to adore his weird mannerisms) and the quirky way that the film was made, but this film didn\'t really click with me at all. It\'s sort of a silent comedy, and I can dig that as a fan of Buster Keaton\'s films, but this movie just felt so detached. I just didn\'t really care about what was going on. Nothing made me connect with this film on an emotional level whatsoever. There was nothing to love and nothing to hate - it was just sort of there. However, I\'ve heard from a bunch of other Tati fans that this film isn\'t his best work either. I\'m still going to check out [i]Mon Oncle[/i] and [i]Playtime[/i], but I\'m probably going to be a bit more hesitant about those films. [b]The Haunting in Connecticut (2009) [/b] I hate white people and I hate that my friend talked me into watching what I already knew was garbage. [b]Passing Strange (2009)[/b] I had to re-watch this to get the above movie out of my head. I adore this film so very, very much. Everything in it is just so wonderful - Stew\'s music, the dialogue, the characters, Spike Lee\'s direction, its intelligent lyrics and story, its ending, etc. I just love it sooooo much. This film grabs me and touches me every time I watch it. It can be melancholy, funny, satirical, and intelligent whenever it likes and it never misses a beat with me. It\'s an \"intellectual arcade\" as they say in the film. [b]The Office: Season 5[/b] (because I like discussing ongoing tv show experiences too?) It\'s still really funny and well-written, but I can see the show going downhill from here. Some of the characters feel more ilke caricatures of their former selves and the show\'s \"this-could-totally-happen-in-a-real-work-place\" jazz is dying if not already dead. It\'s still entertaining and witty, but I\'m kinda sad about the aimless writing at the moment. [b]Skins: Volume 1[/b] Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about the whole MTV craze the remake\'s getting. I\'m just watching this - the original British version - because my friend recommended it to me. I\'ve only watched a 1/3 of the show so far (three episodes out of nine), and I can say that it\'s only decent so far. The writing and cinematography are pretty good, but some of the characters like Tony and Jal feel more like walking stereotypes than anything else. I understand what the show\'s trying to do by denying hedonism as a lifestyle by showing the lifestyle\'s victims in full-force, but it\'s been done better by films like [i]La Dolce Vita[/i] or [i]Requiem for a Dream[/i]. Still, it\'s interesting enough that I\'ll probably finish the first season for the sake of the well-written characters on the show like Cassie and Sid.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)