Login

THeMadHatter:
Looking at her situation, I don't think they can really say she was doing wrong in what she posted. She did not make threatening comments, she did not pick out any students or faculty, she never even mentioned the school. She voiced her thoughts on a topic, not a person, thus she never created an unsafe learning environment. May I also point out she only discussed the act, and not the people? Yet everyone is blowing this into a "what if" situation... "What if the kids are afraid?" "What if she doesn't stop bullying that she may see between a gay student and his/her peers?" I think they're blowing this out of proportion to be- as they described it- a witch hunt. Though she believes it is wrong, this does not mean she is going to enforce some kind of radical hatred in her classroom. My questions: Were there complaints from her previous students? What percent of her students were part of the lgbt community? Were they discriminated against in her classroom? If there is no sign of hate in her classroom, if no one was uncomfortable with her beliefs before these posts were found, if everything was just fine before... then why did it suddenly change when they did find them? Because their perspective of her did? Because of the fear of what could be? I find that it takes more to fire someone than that. And that's why this irks me. I was physically threatened in high school. There was physical evidence- letters, notes, internet posts... My family presented those to the school board. Their response: "We can't do anything until she is physically harmed on school property"... Note- these were death threats. One letter found contained a full depiction of my murder beginning to end... and they wanted to wait still. So why does that go unchecked on a daily basis while this teacher is pounced all over for posting an extremely generic, undirected statement?

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)