Login

BrotherReed:
Update for [b]Contagion[/b]. Here's an impeccably made, well-acted disaster thriller that doesn't offer any surprises. It's exactly what you'd expect to see given the premise; it just so happens to be better quality than most of the movies in its genre. Okay, so maybe there's one surprise, which is a character played by a top-billed performer dying early on, though this has been going on since Psycho. Does this mean I'm dismissing Soderbergh's story? Not at all. The unsettling thing about Contagion is that it seems so plausible, like a pandemic of this nature could potentially really happen; and if it did, isn't this kind of how things would go down? Soderbergh assuredly moves his camera through scenes, being sure to wipe past hand rails, phone receivers, and any other point of contact that becomes a liability for anyone wanting to end up not dead. He begins his movie with the sound of a cough. Everything about the film is designed to amplify small, every day occurrences into deadly hazards, making the audience paranoid. Performances are roundly good from Damon, Fishburne, Winslet, Law (with an interesting tooth job), and an actress previously unknown to me, Jennifer Ehle. Although with so many high profile actors in this film, you know each of them only gets a modicum of screen time in this 105 minute yarn. It wasn't the big movie of the year I thought it could be, but it's still a strong piece of work well worth a ticket. 1. Drive - 8/10 2. The Adjustment Bureau - 8/10 3. Hanna - 7/10 4. Super 8 - 7/10 5. Horrible Bosses - 7/10 6. The Ward - 7/10 7. In Time - 7/10 8. Source Code - 7/10 [b]9. Contagion - 7/10[/b] 10. The Lincoln Lawyer - 7/10 11. Limitless - 6.5/10 12. Insidious - 6/10 13. Midnight in Paris - 6/10 14. Unknown - 6/10 15. X-Men: First Class - 5/10 16. Thor - 5/10 17. Conan O'Brien Can't Stop - 4/10 18. Just Go With It - 2/10

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)