Login

BrotherReed:
I\'m willing to bet next to none of you have heard of [b]Bellflower[/b], the indie romance/revenge story that made a proverbial splash at the Sundance Film Festival and that no regular movie-going person actually saw. The only reason I found out about it was because one of my favorite critics listed it as his number 2 choice for the year and I was in the mood for something different. Well I got something different - something weird - but perhaps not altogether different or weird enough for me to wallow in its weirdness and let that be enough without calling out its insufficiencies as a narrative film. This isn\'t quite Gummo territory (thank heavens for that) but you\'re at least headed in that direction. It\'s like if Bill and Ted were obsessed with Mad Max instead of Eddie Van Halen, and spent all their time outfitting muscle cars with flame-spitting exhaust pipes. The movie is kind of a low-key naturalistic romance during the first half, and then becomes a series of feverish violent displays of people acting out of hurt and betrayal. It\'s ultra low budget but has a nice look to it. The biggest problem is that the narrative is out of chronology, but only sometimes. There are long stretches where you forget that you might not be in the present, as it were. Then when the editing starts cutting the story into smaller pieces, it gets harder to know if what you\'re watching is supposed to be real or not. I have my take on it but I couldn\'t say with any real confidence that my interpretation is correct. The intensity does ramp up at the end, but it might be a case of too much too late for some viewers who had trouble keeping focus during the first 80 minutes and then are shocked at the cruelty displayed in the final act. For my part it kept my interest but it also felt longer than it was and the reaction it left me with was trying to nail down what exactly had happened so I would know what to think of what I just watched. [b]Great[/b] 1. Drive 2. The Adjustment Bureau 3. Moneyball [b]Very Good[/b] 4. Hanna 5. Super 8 6. Martha Marcy May Marlene 7. Horrible Bosses 8. Rango 9. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 10. Attack the Block 11. The Ward [b]Good[/b] 12. In Time 13. Source Code 14. The Descendants 15. Contagion 16. Margin Call 17. The Lincoln Lawyer [b]Decent[/b] 18. Limitless 19. Insidious 20. Midnight in Paris [b]21. Bellflower[/b] 22. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows 23. Unknown [b]Average[/b] 24. X-Men: First Class 25. Thor 26. Crazy, Stupid, Love 27. We Bought A Zoo [b]Weak[/b] 28. Bridesmaids 29. Everything Must Go 30. Conan O\'Brien Can\'t Stop [b]Bad[/b] 31. Our Idiot Brother 32. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 33. Just Go With It

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)