Login

8 in 08

MattBob-SquarePants

16 year(s) ago

I'll shortly be reviewing 8 new linux distributions, or new VERSIONS of existing distributions, all released in 2008. I hadn't gotten any new distros in a while, so I went to distrowatch.com , pulled up all releases in 2008, and just started going crazy downloading stuff. Here are some of what I'll be reviewing, once I get the chance- [b][size=4]Linux XP[/size][/b] This is yet another distribution aimed at attracting a crossover market to help pull the Windows users towards Linux, while offering them support. I'm usually opposed to the idea of charging for linux. It's definitely contrary to the SPIRIT of open source, and usually contrary to the letter of the GPL license, as well. The support is worth something, but the linux community is very good at offering assistance for free through IRC anyway, so I'm not sure if it's really worth it. At any rate, I won't be paying for it, but trying their free 30 day trial, which should be enough to see if it's really any better at running Windows programs and games than any other distro. My guess is no, it won't be. [b][size=4]PelicanHPC[/size][/b] HPC being "high performance computing" this is the newest entry into the field of livedisk-based clustering distros. A cluster allows you to set up multiple machines to share the load on CPU and memory, and perform as a single super-computer (assuming you have the total power to call it that). So far, I've tried 3 or 4 of these, and while it is possible to do, none have been as user-friendly as they claimed. I'm still waiting for that one distro that's good enough and easy enough to add to my permanent collection for these purposes. Could this be the one? I'll find out. [b][size=4]Ultimate Edition & Linux Mint[/size][/b] Both derived from the Ubuntu branch of linux, they also share a common theme in that they attempt to take the Ubuntu base, known for ease-of-use and a simpler transition away from Windows, and take it a step further by offering out-of-the-box support for proprietary formats like Mp3s, flash, java, etc.. And as an added bonus, they both do it on a livedisk, so you needn't worry about whether you'll be able to find your way around, or figure out how to perform function X. Worst care scenario, you don't like it, you pop the disk out, and reset, and you're back to Windows. This one should be interesting; It's kind of a head-to-head competition. [b][size=4]DeLi Linux[/size][/b] Aimed at keeping older computers relevant, DeLi claims it can run on system with as little as 32 M of memory. As such, it is not going to use the prettiest eye-catching software out there, but this is important work, as so many old computers out there work, but can't run the modern software. Windows is not an option at all for these systems, since support has been dropped, and no one is making software for Win 3.1 or 95 anymore. DeLi is the challenger, as for years, I've been using [b][size=4]Damn Small Linux[/size][/b] The latest version I had was 3.something. Now there's a 4.2, and I'm eager to see how it runs. A couple of things I really like about DSL, aside from letting you keep those old systems productive and online. One is that if you have 128M memory or better, you can run the OS completely in memory. The whole thing is less than 50Megs, so that still leaves plenty of room for apps that require memory also. The other thing is that DSL is tied to the Debian branch of linux, one of my favorites, and arguably THE most stable linux distro under development today. Starting with a 50 Meg version of Debian, DSL could let you set up just the stuff you want, and eliminate all the clutter from the system. One more contender in the category of micro-distros is [b][size=4]Milex[/size][/b] This is technically not Linux, but an Open Solaris build for older computers, or just for lightweight deployment. Hopefully I'll be able to find my way around enough to give a comprehensive review, and give it a fair shake at competing with the previous 2. [b][size=4]"Live Gamers"[/size][/b] For years I enjoyed PCLOS' specialty distro "Super-Gamer" until the Super-Gamer people switched to Vector Linux and cut out support on the first 2 PCLOS-based systems. This was a live DVD made to showcase linux' capacity as a gamers' OS, meaning any computer which can 1) boot from disk and 2) has a DVD-ROM (and appropriate video card) can be turned into a 3D gaming environment without touching the installed OS, or leaving any record. Back in my days working overnight security, this helped me pass the time a lot. Now Live Gamers promises to continue this trend, with many of the same 3D games Super-Gamer had, but hopefully they'll keep current, NOT switch up the entire system on us, and even if they do... It's a livedisk, if you want an installed system to run all these 3D games, you can use just about any distro you want. [b][size=4]OpenSUSE 11[/size][/b] As you can tell by the release number, OpenSUSE has been around for quite a while, and is well respected in the linux community. They are generally a good balance between the slow release schedule, and added stability of a Debian-type distro, and the cutting edge sofware displayed on Vector, Ubuntu, etc.. which looks and often acts better, but has a higher tendency to crash. After several beta releases, I'm quite interested to see the final product.

KelseyWick

16 year(s) ago

I have no idea what you are talking about!!! :) I feel like such a bubblle brain. What are you talking about? I am pretty sure they are computer systems...

MattBob-SquarePants

16 year(s) ago

Here's the first installment of my 8 distros for 2008. [size=5]Ultimate Edition[/size] WOW! I have a new favorite livedisk. For those that don't know, a livedisk is an operating system that runs completely from your CD or DVD drive, meaning it won't touch your hard drive, and if you really wanted to, you could use it with no hard drive at all in the machine. Now UE is a live DVD, which honestly IS a little bit of a downside. At this point, it's pretty cheap to burn either a CD or a DVD, but I can download a CD image in a few hours vs usually a few days for a DVD image. As DVD's go, it's pretty small, though, at well under 2 Gigs. There's a strange pattern I notice with linux livedisks- The cooler the graphics are during the loading time, the more time I'm likely to spend with them. It's not that the graphics are really what matters, but it does show that they cared enough to pretty it up as well as much it as functional as possible. And the dragon emblems on the loading screen, and the desktop continue that trend. The first thing that amazed me, as I finished burning the DVD inside Windows, was that it popped up with an autorun menu, asking me if I'd like to install UE. That's cutting edge stuff. It's now possible not only to install Linux from within Windows, as if the install program were just another Windows app, BUT you can now also install linux to the SAME PARTITION as Windows, also. It just couldn't get much easier to get your feet wet with linux. Windows and Linux can share a single hard drive safely, and share a multiboot to ask you on boot, which one you'd like to use. So far the out-of-the-box experience they promise seems accurate. Right from the livedisk, I was able to visit youtube. Shockwave Flash was already installed inside Firefox (which was the 3.0 Beta #5, but come on, they JUST released Firefox 3 final, I can't hold that against them. It also comes with all the applications and codecs I need to work with my vast collection of music, recorded TV shows and movies. The graphics really are impressive. Even the livedisk is able to perform all those graphical tricks that Vista was supposed to do. Wobbly windows, 3D effects, desktop-on-a-cube, all worked without having to install special drivers for my video card. AND what's REALLY cool is that WINE comes pre-installed even in the livedisk environment. What that means is, without touching the hard drive, you can boot from one DVD drive, and run your Windows based programs or games from another CD/DVD drive. Very cool. I may change my mind as I try out more of these new distros, but for the time being, I have to say that Ultimate Edition is now my highest recommendation of all time for Windows users who are interested in trying out linux. It truly has never been easier. http://ultimateedition.info/Ultimate_Edition_1.8/#download Just click the link, and pick your mirror

serfofChrist92

16 year(s) ago

Mypraize seems to have killed the download link. maybe this'll work? [url=http://ultimateedition.info/Ultimate_Edition_1.8/index.html#download]Download Here[/url] It looks pretty cool. I'm gonna give it a try and see how it works. I'm wondering, how much memory do you have? My lappy is only running on 1gb, so I'm not sure if it'll run well with a DVD-size livedisc.

MattBob-SquarePants

16 year(s) ago

That's all I had. I just got another 1/2 G from an upgrade job I did, but I installed and ran it with 1 Gig, and it worked fine. Yuo don't have to have the whole thing in memory, just what's running at the time. 1 gig is plenty. 512 might be fine, but it might be pushing it. 1 Gig, you're fine. I have noticed a couple of "glitches" since then. The dark color scheme, which I usually like, makes it hard to use sites such as this, that use a light color scheme. For example, quick reply is hard to read, though Reply and Edit look fine. Also, the package manager could be better. Most linux distros will let you install 20 things at once (or however many you want), but usually it'll download all packages, and THEN run the install programs. This thing downloads one, and installs one. So instaed of walking away for 30-45 minutes while it downloads everything, you have to keep agreeing to the terms to install a program, then it'll take 10 minutes to get the next. Kind of annoying. But I mean once it's installed everything runs fine, the 3D games work great, the 3D desktop kicks Vista's butt all over Silicon Valley. Still pretty good, just wanted to point out the couple flaws I did find.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)