Login

Can someone help?

jesusisawesome

18 year(s) ago

Ok. So there is a lot going on right now. I am not going to say everything. But there is this one thing. I have a friend. (some people think we are more than just friends but we are not.)Anyways... His father is really hard on him. He is christian but his father isn't and his father doesn't want him hanging around his "church friends." I want to help but I don't know how. Can someone help? Thanks. Love always, Alicia

stratacastle

18 year(s) ago

Yes, God tells us to obey our parents, but it also tells us to fellowship with other believers. Since your friend's non-Christian father is telling him not to do something the Bible tells us to do, I would tell your friend not to listen to his dad regarding this situation. You probably thought of that already, though. I'm sorry, but I don't know what to say as far as practical ways to go about this so that your friend doesn't get in trouble or at least so that he can do it in a way that won't offend his dad.

jesusisawesome

18 year(s) ago

Thanks that helped. We are right now trying to get his father to try to believe that God is there and will always be there. It is tough but we are trying. Love always, Alicia

kymmie

18 year(s) ago

I am going have to disagree with the person who said tell your friend not to listen to His dad. That is no good. You don't want to do anything that would make him (the father) as an unbeliever think any worse of christians and one telling his son to disregard what he says as a parent will do just that. The best advice is for you and your friend to pray the the lord would begin to soften his heart towards his son and to the things of Christ. Tell your freind not to argue with his dad but be a loving example of what christianity is. Fighting about it will only push his father further away from the idea of opening his mind to christianity. Hope this helps. you seem like an awesome friend and God will bless you for it.

stratacastle

18 year(s) ago

I wasn't saying your friend should disregard the feelings and wishes of his father, merely that God tells us to obey authority in as much as it does not go against His authority. In this case it does. The young man's actions should be in the best interest of his witness to his father but also of his relationship with God and other believers. I agree, arguing with his dad would only make matters worse and push his dad farther away from God, and that should not be done. I'll be praying for all of you involved in the situation.

pookalie59

18 year(s) ago

Hi Alicia! I would suggest that you go to the elders of your church or of your friends church...go with your friend and seek guidance from them. The devil knows what your struggle is, and he is doing his best to cause turmoil in your friends life right now. Tell him to have a kind heart towards his father because he is lost right now. Both of you need to pray without ceasing about this situation. His Christianity is being tested right now and he must remain strong and faithful...remember, God knows what is going on and He will deal with it accordingly!

JanMS42

18 year(s) ago

Hi Kymmie, I agree. As a parent I would not like any friends (christian or not) of my kids telling them not to listen to me. Obedience to his parents is what God wants and God knows that his father is an unbeliever. If he can be honest with his parents and have a quiet conversation with him about his friends and why he likes to hang out with them, that'd be the best thing to do. Now if his father still says no, then he needs to honor his father that way. God will honor his obedience to the parents He has given him. Then as he is obedient, his father's heart may change. I will pray that his father's heart is softened so he can talk with him. God bless! JanMS42

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)