Login

did he just say what I think he said?

Freakyone

13 year(s) ago

So I though of ya'll today during service when my church's youth pastor read a quote from Peter Marshell written in the 1950 to the moms of the chapel. "I believe women come nearer fulfilling their God-given function in the home than anywhere else. It is a much nobler thing to be a good wife than to be Miss America. It is a greater achievement to establish a Christian home than it is to produce a second-rate novel filled with filth. It is a far, far better thing in the realm of morals to be old-fashioned than to be ultramodern. The world has enough women who know how to hold their cocktails, who have lost all their illusions and their faith. [b]T[/b][b]he world has enough women who know how to be smart. It needs women who are willing to be simple. [/b]The world has enough women who know how to be brilliant. It needs some who will be brave. The world has enough women who are popular. It needs more who are pure. We need woman, and men, too, who would rather be morally right that socially correct." I was rather upset when he finished it because I firmly believe that a woman can have a job and a good christian family and while he [u]might[/u] have encouraged the stay at home moms he almost completely put down the working mom. So I was curious about your opinions on it, and if you believe it is still relevant today as he said it is.

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

So... You can't be popular and pure? Jack.......... Oh wait. On MP... Right.

THeMadHatter

13 year(s) ago

^ Seconded. Also, I don't think he was really trying to push women to stay in the home so much as he was "suggesting" strongly that it's what any moral woman would do.

larry229

13 year(s) ago

Yes he said what you think he said. In fact he said more than you probably think he said. I grew up in that kind of house. I'm actually going against my parent's wishes right now because I'm at university instead of trying to get married.

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

I think that if someone was preaching that at me, I'd get up and leave. No talking or anything. I'd just leave.

TheLovelyMango

13 year(s) ago

o.O It's all been said. I'm just gonna go smack my head into a brick wall, kayyy? XD

Freakyone

13 year(s) ago

yeah and it doesn't help that he was a typical home schooler. but thank you all for your input I wanted to make sure I wasn't making something out of nothing and it doesn't seem I did

Cowgurl4JC

13 year(s) ago

[b]THeMadHatter wrote:[/b] [quote]^ Seconded. Also, I don't think he was really trying to push women to stay in the home so much as he was "suggesting" strongly that it's what any moral woman would do.[/quote] Huh, guess I'm not moral then...*rolls eyes* What do you mean by typical home schooler?

starrynight

13 year(s) ago

Keep in mind, the man he quoted was Peter Marshall-- a minister and political chaplain in the 1950's. The world was very different back then. Not bad-- but very different. It's really hard sometimes for some modern women to digest traditional gender roles like that. Take the meat, spit out the bones. And remember-- yes, the Bible [b]does[/b] tell women to be busy at home, to care for their children, and to submit to their husbands.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)