Login

GRUB

MisterNathan

13 year(s) ago

How familiar is anyone here with GRUB/GRUB2?

The-Fish-Lover

13 year(s) ago

not really anymore use to be a big linux guy

serfofChrist92

13 year(s) ago

That is what does the OS selection in ubuntu right? ...it's been awhile since I've run Linux.

MisterNathan

13 year(s) ago

[b]serfofChrist92 wrote:[/b] [quote]That is what does the OS selection in ubuntu right? ...it's been awhile since I've run Linux.[/quote] Yep. I, uh, accidentally screwed it up so it's stuck in GRUB Recovery mode.

serfofChrist92

13 year(s) ago

Any particular errors it gives you/what caused the problem?

MisterNathan

13 year(s) ago

Well, I accidentally booted to the Windows XP Recovery Mode partition instead of the regular XP partition (I was customizing the bootloader menu to be icon-only and didn't remove the recovery mode option first). As soon as I realized my mistake, I turned the computer off ASAP. On the next boot...GRUB recovery mode. None of the normal commands worked. All I could do was 'list'. The commands 'boot' and 'help' were both unrecognized. To make matters worse, this netbook, for some reason, doesn't always display the start screen from which you can access the BIOS, and I still haven't figured out what determines whether it wants to play nice or not. Anyways, I decided to just screw it and reinstall Ubuntu instead of trying to deal with repairing GRUB, since my first two attempts were both unsuccessful...and how slow the OS was running from the flashdrive was killing me. The real bummer is that in the process of messing with the partitions...for some reason (and I swear I didn't do it! :P ) the XP partition decided to wipe itself out, and, well...it's a netbook. It has no CD-ROM drive, and even if it did, it didn't ship with Windows recovery discs. So that's a bit of a bummer. If I feel like screwing with it again I might try a pirated version of XP since my legal copy decided to self-destruct. There's a good chance I won't, though. :P Now I'm back to square 0.5 as I set it to skip the GRUB menu and boot to Ubuntu, since that's now the only OS on the hard drive, now. :(

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)