Login

increasing sexism and a gf

deadravens16

13 year(s) ago

[color=#008000][/color]okay, I have a problem I do not know how to respond to. My mother and a friend who lives with me(a girl, but shes like a sister) are both extremely sexist. However, my dad and I strongly dislike this. If i date which i will, and i know who i want to date, i do not want to let her meet them because they are sexist and are the typical "all guys are jerks" and "you were being a jerk because youre a guy and didnt think i could handle this because you think im dumb because im a female." I onloy want my gf to meet my dad because hes ok and my brothers are w/e about this. They dont care. Should I ever have my gf meet my mom and "sis"? i do not want them to. Do I have to? can i just allow my gf to meet my dad and thats it? no family dinners but a meal with her parents and my dad? :unsure:

NinjaUnicorn

13 year(s) ago

Whoa whoa whoa. What's the problem? Bring your date home. Let her meet your dad. If your mom and her friend are where they belong, you don't have to worry. Just don't take your girl through your kitchen.

Freakyone

13 year(s) ago

[b]NinjaUnicorn wrote:[/b] [quote] If your mom and her friend are where they belong, you don't have to worry. Just don't take your girl through your kitchen.[/quote] Win! okay back to the problem If the Girl knows your not a jerk then she should be fine talking with your mom and friend. just don't take her home till you two really know each other and trust one another and it should be fine.

THeMadHatter

13 year(s) ago

If you're that concerned, then date her for a while before you instantly bring her home on the first night out. That way, she gets to know you, and you can warn her that your mother can sometimes be a little overbearing. Honestly, don't use the word "sexist" to her. I know a LOT of girls who hold the belief that a girl can predict how a guy will treat her down the road based off of how he treats the women he's grown up with in life. If he's rude to his elders, if he's judgmental to his mother or sister, then she will stay away from him out of fear he will be rude and judging to her as well. I'm not accusing you of doing this, I only encourage you to let HER make the decision as to whether or not she is sexist. Using words like strong willed or overbearing are not bad, but descriptors of behavior. Sexist is a label. Try not to use those. Like someone else said, when she knows she can trust you, she'll make her own decision about the matter. I don't think your mum is going to chase her away, not if she's into women's rights anyway. She'll be very accepting of another girl. As for your question: can she just not meet your mom. No. She's going to at some point or another, because if you ever want to marry a girl, guess who will be at the wedding. And keeping them away from your mom instead of being open with her will only make her more angry and call men more names. If you can be open and honest, then your mother will be more accepting of your relationship and of the girl. Also, when you keep the girl away, she WILL assume something is horribly wrong, and be very suspicious of you and your home. That takes down the honesty/confidence/openness and trust levels a LOT.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)