Login

Linear Equations... BLECH!!!

Wolf97

13 year(s) ago

Oh my goodness! I cant figure it out! Help!

rami009

13 year(s) ago

y=mx+b?

hcaldwell5

13 year(s) ago

Very funny u asked I'm learning the same thing.for me it is easy but I'm a straight "A" student so it may be a little easy for me but i can break it down for ya. *Linear equations need to be in the form of Ax+By=C *Ax needs to be greater than or equal to zero *and A and B can not both be zero. *so say you had the equation:3x=5y 3x=5y *u need to subtract 5y from 5y and from 3x which would give you 3x-5x=0 *3x-5x=0 *notice how it is the form of Ax+By=C (which means that the problem is *linear). *that would mean that: A=3 B=-5 C=0 Any questions feel free to ask and i hope that this helps!

serfofChrist92

13 year(s) ago

[b]hcaldwell5 wrote:[/b] [quote]*Ax needs to be greater than or equal to zero[/quote] ...since when? y=x Take that and put it standard form, Ax+By=C, and you get (-1)x+(1)y=0

TrueTalent

12 year(s) ago

[b]hcaldwell5 wrote:[/b] [quote]Very funny u asked I'm learning the same thing.for me it is easy but I'm a straight "A" student so it may be a little easy for me but i can break it down for ya. *Linear equations need to be in the form of Ax+By=C *Ax needs to be greater than or equal to zero *and A and B can not both be zero. *so say you had the equation:3x=5y 3x=5y *u need to subtract 5y from 5y and from 3x which would give you 3x-5x=0 *3x-5x=0 *notice how it is the form of Ax+By=C (which means that the problem is *linear). *that would mean that: A=3 B=-5 C=0 Any questions feel free to ask and i hope that this helps![/quote] First off, you did create a mistake when doing this Algebra problem. When you subtracted 5y from both sides of the equation, you made 5y change to 5x... Meaning, this is how the equation should look: 3x-5y=0 NOT this: 3x-5x=0 If you did 3x-5x=0 then you would have said that -2x is equal to 0... meaning that x would be equal to zero. This would have confused the person you are tutoring, so check your work.. It is ALWAYS helpful!

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)