Login

On making a webiste

javie

12 year(s) ago

I am going to make a website very soon, and I need some advice on making one. I need someone from just about anyone who has some experience on making websites, and no, I don't care if you don't know too much. If you happen to make just one web page, that's fine. I will use that kind of resource. What I am looking for is the best kind of website that can help me create a website. Just throw one in that You highly recommend me to use and I will use it. The reason for why I am going to create a website is because I am trying to make a site where everyone can look up my reviews that I do on this site. It will be purely a site on reviews, but bigger than ever! I will not only write reviews, but one day make live reviews! I will make a review show out of what I do. This does mean you get to see my hairy face in action!So, if you want to see my hairy self, start giving me some advice on making a website today!

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

might wordpress do what you need? it's blogging software, but it is pretty customizable if you install it on your own server.

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

[b]serfofChrist92 wrote:[/b] [quote]might wordpress do what you need? it's blogging software, but it is pretty customizable if you install it on your own server.[/quote] This. Additionally, there are an insane amount of plugins to customize it to your needs without having much knowledge of web programming and design.

0mike

11 year(s) ago

Any idea on what OS to install your server on? I'm assuming a LAMP server, but which distro? I would recommend Ubuntu for starting out (server addition unless you really really need a desktop) and make it a Long Term Support edition (12.04 is the latest). There are a lot of really good how to websites but I've found it usually takes a combo of at least two really good tutorials to get the process down well. If you need specific help on certain aspects let us know! I'm more than willing to help. To get a quick LAMP server running http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_debian_lamp_server will do the trick. My advice is that when you install ubuntu the point where it asks you to select software, just select LAMP (BY HITTING THE SPACEBAR NOT ENTER!!!) and it will automagically install all the packages you need. Remember: all your web folders are located in /var/www ALSO if you happen to accidentally hit the enter button before selecting packages, or already have a linux server running, you can use [code]sudo tasksel[/code] to open the task selection screen. I've found this is much easier than manually installing packages. You can change the location of the web folders by modifying [code]/etc/apache2/sites-available/default[/code] and changing where it says [code]/var/www[/code] to [code]/home/username/www[/code] or wherever you want to store the files. Let us know how it goes!!! A quick side note: I use nano to edit files so when I edit a file I use [code]sudo nano index.html[/code] when using nano saving is done by [code]ctrl+o[/code] and exiting is done with [code]ctrl+x[/code]. Good luck!

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)