Login

Ubuntu for ARM devices

MisterNathan

15 year(s) ago

So, I was looking at some cell phone technology and stuffs 'cause I'm wondering what all it would take to build my own cell phone. At any rate, I totally did not realize how versatile Ubuntu has become. I mean, it doesn't surprise me, but I didn't realize Ubuntu 9.04 had been released from ARM-based devices (for those unaware, I believe the iPhone uses [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture]ARM architecture[/url]). So, yeah. Anyone interesting in trying to build a slightly more versatile cell phone for less than any equivalent currently on the market? :P

MattBob-SquarePants

14 year(s) ago

I'm VERY interested in it. However, I'm not convinced that it's feasible. I've talked it over with my brother, and he seems to think it's no big deal. I think the security issues relating to the cell towers is going to be quite a hurdle to overcome. See, ARM is used for small devices in general. MP3's, PDAs, phones, all sorts of things. And yes, you can find open source software to replace the factory software. But do these open source programs include the drivers and software to deal with the dialpad? Will they come ready to "talk to" the cell towers of various carriers and negotiate a connection to your own carrier? I have a suspicion the only way to accomplish this would be to clone an existing cell device. I'd still be interested in it, for sure, but much more so if it were marketable, which I don't believe it to be.

MisterNathan

14 year(s) ago

Well, I read an article on c-net a while back about a guy who built his own cell phone, then (I believe), programmed the whole thing himself. I guess there wasn't much in the way of pre-existing code anybody could get their hands on for cell phones at that point in time, I dunno. At any rate, it intrigues me, and I'd be interested in giving it a shot...one of these days when I have the time and money to blow on it. :P

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)