Login

versions

Freakyone

12 year(s) ago

After being handed a ESV at my NKJV reading church for graduation I started thinking about different translations and me and my brother had a wonderful in dept conversation about it. So I was wondering what Versions of the Bible do ya'll read? Why did you pick that version? I personally use KJV most of the time or a Geneva 1603(I think) I was raised with the KJV and have checked it on my own and found it to be one of the most reliable, the Geneva is great but kind of tricky to read because of how old it is but the commentary is great.

Son-Of-Fire

12 year(s) ago

Actually, the KJV is NOT as reliable as many people think. The version I read the most is the Holman Christian Standard Bible.

rami009

12 year(s) ago

The New American Bible, because I used it in high school and it's Catholic

Freakyone

12 year(s) ago

Son_Of_Fire(Kenneth right?) why do you say that? and I've never heard of the version before.

Gamester4

12 year(s) ago

It depends on which of my Bibles I'm using. If it's my Apologetics Study Bible then it is HCSB (the one Kenneth mentioned) If it's any of my others it's NIV. I have on occasion used the NASB when using the Youversion Bible app.

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

NASB is the most accurate, but as far as general reading, I've found the HCSB has a nice balance between accuracy and readability.

Freakyone

12 year(s) ago

Nathan you do know the NASB is one of the bible versions that makes Jesus a liar right? look up John 7 and start in verse 8. they omit the word yet making it a lie the ESV does the same thing. but other than that I've only heard good things about the NASB.

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

[b]Freakyone wrote:[/b] [quote]Nathan you do know the NASB is one of the bible versions that makes Jesus a liar right? look up John 7 and start in verse 8. they omit the word yet making it a lie the ESV does the same thing. but other than that I've only heard good things about the NASB.[/quote] John 7:8 NASB Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come.” Explain, please?

Freakyone

12 year(s) ago

Nathan- John 7:8 NASB Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come.” a few verses later 10 "But when His brothers had gone up to the feast, then He Himself also went up, not publicly, but as if, in secret." John 7:8 KJV. "Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up[b] yet [/b]unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come." and a couple verses later 10 "But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret." in the NASB Jesus says I'm not going and then shows up. in the KJV and a few others he says he isn't coming up yet. I know its pretty minor because not everyone notices it, but it tripped one of my friends up really bad. Sarah- so you're catholic? interesting for some reason I though Mat was the only one here.

Son-Of-Fire

12 year(s) ago

[b]Freakyone wrote:[/b] [quote]Son_Of_Fire(Kenneth right?) why do you say that? [/quote] You would ask me that question at this point in my life.... It's an answer that would take a long time and I'm too busy right now to type out a long answer. I'll do something sometime to give you a detailed answer.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)