Login

witnessing

lonikelam

18 year(s) ago

What do you tell people when you are witnessing to them? Can every claim you make be backed up with Scripture? If it can, what verses back up your claims? I want to know how you do it.

chargette

18 year(s) ago

1 John 5:6 "...And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, the Spirit is truth." When I think I may have an opportunity to witness I say a silent prayer asking God to use me to convey what He wants the other person to hear. At that point I can relax and then I'm amazed at how I bring up God in the converstion. I can't remember the scriptural reference, but the Apostle Paul wrote that he planted, Apollos watered, but God kept making it grow. With these simple concepts in mind, I usually relate my personal experience and then I encourage personal prayer. I teach people to pray in the name of Jesus Christ because he died for our sins and was ressurected. In this way I convey that a personal relationship with God is real and that Jesus died for our sins. I figure that's enough for people to start with. I don't give people an overload of information because I want them to remember what I said. God will bring back to their minds these simple points which allows them to ponder the matter and perhaps reach out to God.

lonikelam

18 year(s) ago

What methods do you use? Do you tell people God has a wonderful plan for their lives? Do you tell them Jesus will give them peace and happiness? What do you use to bring the knowledge of sin? Or do you just tell them they have sinned? If you mention sin, do tell them the punishment for it? Do you mention Hell and call it Hell, not a Christless eternity? Do you call sin "sin" or do you call it an "indiscretion"? It's this kind of thing I want to know.

chargette

18 year(s) ago

I keep it simple. My method is relaxed so the listener will stay open to what I'm saying. I'm not going to overload a listener, however, I will answer questions asked of me. When answering questions the first scripture I point out is Genesis 40:8, "..does not interpretaions belong to god?" I also encourage people to take their questions to God and to ask for guidence in finding the answers, especially getting to know the Bible, because any human being can say anything they want, doing more harm than good. I believe in fostering capabilites in others so they can continue learning with a better chance of not being taken in by cults and such. This is important because we cannot be with them contiuosly to keep them safe from false doctrine.

DHfan

18 year(s) ago

i think you have to mostly just go with where the Spirit leads you, where the conversation leads. sometimes, you just need to start with whatever they might be asking questions about Now, there's something really important to know. The word witness means "someone who tells their story." Before someone can know what God can do for them or anything else, you need to tell them what God has done for you. At some point in your life, God has delivered you from something or other. Start with your story. No one knows it better than you, and it can sometimes be the most powerful witnessing tool. You also need to start by establishing God's existence and also by telling Jesus' story. Those are the things you need to establish before you can actually get into any type of theology with them. Sin is also something that is very important to get to. No one can repent if they dont recognize that they need forgiveness.

Luke

18 year(s) ago

I agree with everything that's already said, just want to add something. don't be afraid. you can try to plan everything out, and that's ok, it's good to have an outline, but when you're in it, usually you're controlled by the spirit pretty quick and don't have to worry about it. yeah, try to have a bible handy and a few quick and easy verses. John 3:16's well known, but if you explain it, it's perfect. and yes, share your own story. amazing relationship starter. -Luke

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

Try sending someone a link like this one to witness: http://upchucky.com/plan.html It is easy to understand and explains the Gospel really well.

duckie2six

17 year(s) ago

Well, I sometimes use the song: Above All. Well if not it is basically just talking about how Jesus' life was. " Like a rose, trampled on the ground..." hta tis one of the verses in there and it so is talking about Jesus' being the rose. I mean here He was this perfect rose,and people trampled him, you know? But you just have to remember we just plant the seed, we cannot do it for them, we just have to get them started and God will take care of the rest. I am very proud that you are whitnessing to others! It is really a great thing. I appreciate hearing about people like you. Thanks, Your reader

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)