Login

12 yr old attitude

mommab

16 year(s) ago

Hi, my 12 yr old has started being so disrespectful to me and my husband. He doesn't listen and when it comes to homework, he wants my help but doesn't take my advice on how to do things. Any suggestions? Thanks so much mommab

sonicroxie

16 year(s) ago

Well, This is coming from someone whose 13, so I might not have the best advice possible. I have been recently fighting with my own parents, and one of the biggest reasons was that I thought they didn't understand. Being a new teenager makes me want to do more, like listen to loud rock music, and go out with my friends. My parents hated most of the music I like and the people I wanted to hang out with. This might not be the some situation that you're having, but one of the biggest things I can suggest is that you should be very open-minded. Take time to listen to him and ask him why he's acting this way. It might work. Hope I could help.

Post edited by: sonicroxie, at: 2008/02/22 16:47

Sk8emerica

16 year(s) ago

[b]mommab wrote:[/b] [quote]Hi, my 12 yr old has started being so disrespectful to me and my husband. He doesn't listen and when it comes to homework, he wants my help but doesn't take my advice on how to do things. Any suggestions? Thanks so much mommab[/quote] Again, im like sonicroxie, except ill be 15 in a couple months. Anyways, around that time I started becoming more rebellious, started to get more quiet, and strayed from my parents orders, if you will. Around this "progression", I hit puberty, and this may be what he is starting to go through as well. Give it about a year or two, I know it seems like a long time, but after about a year or two, I started Smoothing out, but since he is not me, it could take less/longer. Another thing that both I and my mom, had noticed, and I admitted to, was the friends that I hung around with gave me a negative attitude towards elders/other people. You may want to check in on his friends as well. Or maybe he is simply having issues in school with work/friends/girls? Maybe he is keeping something from you, that is boiling up on the inside of him, causing him to get unexplained feelings and ultimately making him frustrated, which sometimes frustration results in rebellion/disobedience. I hope this helps. Sk8emerica

Iluvbradleyforever

16 year(s) ago

Well im 12 and I will say that i am disrespectful to my parents. After I do it i feel bad and apoligize. But your son probably just wants to be around friends and cares about being cool right now. Or maybe you need to give him some more space.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)