Login

Aseret Devarim

Mal316

14 year(s) ago

So, who can list the Ten Commandments. Bonus question: Where in Scripture is the phrase "ten commandments" found? Hint: NOT at Exodus 20 or Deuteronomy 5.

Mal316

14 year(s) ago

According to Jewish tradition, these are the Ten: 1. [color=#0000FF]I am the Lord thy God, Who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, the house of bondage.[/color] 2. [color=#0000FF]You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness which is in the heavens above, which is on the earth below, or which is in the water beneath the earth. You shall neither prostrate yourself before them nor worship them, for I, the Lord, your God, am a zealous God, Who visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons, upon the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me, and [I] perform loving kindness to thousands [of generations], to those who love Me and to those who keep My commandments.[/color] 3. [color=#0000FF]You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain, for the Lord will not hold blameless anyone who takes His name in vain.[/color] 4. [color=#0000FF]Remember the Sabbath day to sanctify it.[/color] (Exodus 20) [color=#0000FF]Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you.[/color] (Deut 5) [Notice the two different verbs: Remember and Observe. Because of the two different commands concerning the Sabbath, we light two candles. One for remember and one for observe.] 5. [color=#0000FF]Honor your father and your mother.[/color] 6. [color=#0000FF]Do not murder.[/color] 7. [color=#0000FF]Do not commit adultery.[/color] 8. [color=#0000FF]Do not steal.[/color] 9. [color=#0000FF]Do not bear false witness. [/color] 10. [color=#0000FF]Do not covet.[/color] No. 1 has always seemed to me to be a Preamble, a declarative statement asserting God's authority and sovereignty and the reason WHY we should observe these commandments. But it is instead listed as the first of the ten commandments. So, what does the first commandment actually [i]command[/i]?

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)