Login

javie

14 year(s) ago

Now after reading my comment on the end of Sherlock Holmes, you guys are probably wondering what I think about Avatar. This movie was huge when people started to watch the previews of this movie, and it still is today. I am a fan of James Cameron's movies, until his documentary of the Lost Tomb of Jesus. But I was truly expecting a great movie out of this one. One that I would look back at over and over again. I watched it, and loved it after seeing the movie. However, looking back at it right now, I do have some ups and downs and spoilers that might make you want to shoot me for it. So that should be a warning that I gave you and hold on tight. It starts off in the planet of Pandora, where we start to see a facility with scientist, miners, construction workers and even the military involved with the planet. They are trying to find a resource that could make billions. But they have to tear down a tree that the aliens who are called the Navi are living in. And the tree is huge! So we have an ex-marine, who is called to live in the Navi's body to learn everything about them. So what about that tree they live in? The military is planning to tear down that tree. Yup, its an environmental movie. Not saying that I have a problem with saving the environment, but I still have more to say about this movie. So this guy gets to live with the Navi and learns how to live with them. Then all of a sudden, it just goes into this whole thing of getting involved with their own god that rules their planet. Even the way how they worship their god and nature is just weird. It was more like a mix between Wicca and New Age. They believe in giving prayer to trees and plants and so forth. So for those of you who even watched the movie and did not know this at first (like me, for example), Avatar is an environmental, pagan movie. I had no idea at first, but then when I learned about that, I was quite disturbed to figure that out. But besides that, the action was so good. The only problem, however, there wasn't so much of it. There was about 5 minutes of it in the beginning, and the ending was nothing, but action. The middle and the rest was more about getting to know the people in the film. But other than that, the action was not too bad. I could see that James Cameron used some of his ideas from his other movies. I'm not going to include Titanic, only because there wasn't any resemblance from it whatsoever. For starters, you got the plot and the environment from Aliens, of how the robots was a parody from the machine that Ripley use to fight against the queen alien on the end of his movie. And speaking of Ripley, James even got the star from Aliens to be in the movie as a scientist, who still kind of acts like the same from Aliens. Then you got the flying aircraft from Terminator 2, which kind of looks like the same aircraft that the machines used in the movie. [IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ZeratulPy/terminatorsalvation-2.jpg[/IMG] But that's as much as I could come up with. I was going to put in True Lies, but I couldn't find any on the end after all. Other than that, after watching the movie, I started to look back at it, and I started to see some of the flaws that this movie suffered. It looked like Ferngully, Pocahantus and Dancing with Wolves, which I have to admit was a really boring movie. I looked back at these other movies, and you know what, Avatar was all of these movies. The 3-D effects were cool and it was amazing of how it made you feel as if you were actually in the movie, instead of making it look as if you were just watching an average 3-D movie, where it was just stuff being thrown at you. But I, however, am not a fan of 3-D movies, and I wish not to see another 3-D movie again. It hurts my eyes and it gives me a headache. In conclusion, the movie was not what I was expecting at all. I liked it, but it was just average. The action scenes were exciting to watch, and the landscape and the environment was amazing. However, there was only little of action to be found, and the whole blend between the pagan practices and saving the environment ruined it for me. Like I said, I liked it, but not perfect. Even though this movie is still making big bucks, its just only over hype to me. My score: 3/5 Does this mean I didn't liked it? No. Am I going to expect anyone hating me for this review? Yes.

disciple-in-training

14 year(s) ago

Good review. I just saw it this afternoon (not in 3D though) and really liked it at first, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it was full of themes I didn't really identify with. But, it's still a really fun movie to watch...and I'm probably going to see it again tomorrow with some who haven't seen it yet.

KattyKit

14 year(s) ago

I think it's one of those "It's fiction. Remember that it's fiction and you'll be okay."

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)