Login

Before the foundation...

barry

16 year(s) ago

[b]John 17:24 "Father, those whom You have given to me, I will that where I am they also may be with me, that they may behold my glory that You did give to me, because You did love me before the foundation of the world."[/b] By Jewish reckoning “[i]The foundation of the world[/i]” marks the event of the giving of the Torah. The Sefer HaChinuch writes that the foundation of the people of Israel is Torah. Not only is the Torah the foundation of the Jewish people, but it is the foundation of the world as well, as the world was created because of the Torah. The foundation of the world sits on five pillars, the five books of Moses. I realize the world did not begin with Torah, but the Rabbi’s taught it did, consequently this rabbinic phrase came to be common usage. Compare with: [b]Revelation 13:8 - "And bow before it shall all who are dwelling upon the land, whose names have not been written in the scroll of the life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." [/b] This is an obvious reference to the lamb (or goat) slain 50 days before the giving of the Torah at Mount Sinai.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)