Login

computer help..

Dragonrider

15 year(s) ago

somehow my computer lost all its files and pictures..everything! i had used it in the morning for a lil bit and it had frozen on me so i shut it down from behind like i have always done. and then it started up funny and when it loaded all my files were gone. it was like i had gotten a new computer. i dont know what happened, but i cried for like 10 minutes straight because i lost ALL my pictures and all my files..everything!

serfofChrist92

15 year(s) ago

Do you have any friends that could take a look at it to try and recover your files for you? That sort of thing is a lot easier to do in person.

Dragonrider

15 year(s) ago

i do, but they cant seem to do it.

serfofChrist92

15 year(s) ago

So if you browse to C:Users (or C:Documents and Settings), can you see any files from your old user account?

Dragonrider

15 year(s) ago

[b]serfofChrist92 wrote:[/b] [quote]So if you browse to C:Users (or C:Documents and Settings), can you see any files from your old user account?[/quote] nope. its completly gone. it's like the whole system was wiped out.

MisterNathan

15 year(s) ago

Do you still have an operating system on the computer (Windows, Mac OSX, etc)?

Dragonrider

15 year(s) ago

uhhh...i have windows.

MisterNathan

15 year(s) ago

[b]DragonRider1 wrote:[/b] [quote]uhhh...i have windows.[/quote] Okay, well if the Operating System is still there, then all the information from the hard drive isn't gone. You have (roughly) two possibilities: either you managed to get yourself a pretty hardcore virus, or Windows screwed up somehow. Given Windows' track record...it wouldn't surprise me one bit. If you get a chance or you have a friend who knows how (if you don't feel comfortable), try running a Live Disk using Ubuntu (or some equivalent) and mount your hard drive from inside there, and see if you can access your files.

Dragonrider

15 year(s) ago

[b]MisterNathan wrote:[/b] [quote][b]DragonRider1 wrote:[/b] [quote]uhhh...i have windows.[/quote] Okay, well if the Operating System is still there, then all the information from the hard drive isn't gone. You have (roughly) two possibilities: either you managed to get yourself a pretty hardcore virus, or Windows screwed up somehow. Given Windows' track record...it wouldn't surprise me one bit. If you get a chance or you have a friend who knows how (if you don't feel comfortable), try running a Live Disk using Ubuntu (or some equivalent) and mount your hard drive from inside there, and see if you can access your files.[/quote] i think that i got a hardcore virus. it wont let me open up anything other than internet.

serfofChrist92

15 year(s) ago

Well, Ubuntu would bypass that as everything would run from a CD. Even if you had a virus, it shouldn't stop Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)