Login

Cursing

Bittersweet

12 year(s) ago

So, many of you know about my theology major brother. When he comes home, he likes to share what he'ls learned thus far. And last time he was home, he mentioned how in the Gospels, Jesus cursed. He was a pottymouth. Because apparently repeating a verb twice is horrible language. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which passages my brother mentioned specifically, so this a request for any Hebrew knowing people to go look it up, pretty please? (I'd ask my brother, but it's near impossible to get a hold of him anymore.) The best I can come up with is maybe, "You who have ears, can't you hear?" But I'm not sure that's the right passage... And also, this is open for discussion, because it's written in James that we must control our tongues. And yet, Jesus, when angered, would use the foulest language known to Jewish-kind. Thoughts?

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

I can't comment on whether these phrases are the foulest in the Hebrew language, but Jesus used "sons of snakes" and "brood of vipers" -- which one could compare to similar phrases we have. Paul also used a rather harsh word for feces too. To throw my $.02 in on the topic of cussing: words convey ideas. Extreme words convey extreme ideas or emotions. If the idea or intent behind the word is malicious, then it's not worth saying. It's always good to have tact, but I don't believe words are inherently bad to say.

Veyron

12 year(s) ago

You know, I used to be all about quoting the Bible to say that we should not cuss...I used the passage in James and other passages. "Keep a clean tongue" etc...to convey my point. Yet at the same time, I cuss alot...alot...ALOT, seriously lol. However...I am not so sure now...I do believe that we should act as God would have us to act, thus we should act honorably to our Father as it is HIM we represent, but at the same time, Paul did say that there is a time for everything, and a season to every purpose under heaven...now if "everything" and "every purpose under heaven" includes cussing, then absolutely, if it is necessary to get a point across, then do it....but still...as Ben said, use tact. Keep it under control. And I think I should work on this as well as anyone and everyone...

BrotherReed

12 year(s) ago

Here's the thing. I don't think that Biblical admonitions against cursing apply to our modern idea of "cuss words." I shouldn't use language that belittles or tears down, and that can be completely G-rated. I personally throw the s-word, a-word, etc around (but only in company that I know won't be offended) and I think it's harmless. When my g/f and I are talking we can use the b-word no problem - however if I ever called her the b-word, she'd slap me. You see the difference?

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)