Login

Death Penalty

Mal316

14 year(s) ago

This past Sunday I attended a death penalty panel debate at shul. The pro side was represented by the senior rabbi at shul. The con side was represented by a visiting rabbi who also happened to be a longtime colleague and friend of the senior rabbi. It was moderated by a former state supreme court justice. Each side had 10 minutes for an opening presentation then five minutes for rebuttal. Following was a question and answer session open to members of the audience. I must admit that I was surprised at the senior rabbi's stance being pro-death penalty, given that American Reform Judaism has been widely anti-death penalty for quite some time now. Eh, just goes to show not everybody agrees all the time on everything, even within specific groups. Anyways....the point of posting this here in debate is because everything turns into a debate :P and I wanted to learn people's perspectives. One thing to keep in mind, which I took from the debate and wholeheartedly support, is that it is possible to disagree agreeably. Even on issues as controversial as this. Even where people feel passionately about their position, we are still brothers and sisters and children of One God and Father.

Ellipses

14 year(s) ago

I'm in support of the death penalty for heinous crimes. I believe that proven criminals should be punished in this world, in addition to anything they may or may not suffer in the next. In addition to this, I dislike that our country's jails house so many criminals with no intention of releasing them. If it's a heinous crime and they're too dangerous to society to go free, and you're giving them a life sentence-why? They get to live, eat, excercise, etc. for free the rest of their lives. Not exactly a punishment. Then again, neither is lethal injection, considering you don't even feel that second needle go in.

Ellipses

14 year(s) ago

Salvation of the soul is not something we can help them do. That's between them and the Almighty. And if they killed someone in cold blood, then they can talk to him in person.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)