Login

EMERGENCY MATH HELP PLEASE!

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

I need major help on a story problem, 'cause I don't get how to solve it at all. It's a logic problem. Here it is: On their 560-mile trip, the Bruins basketball team spent two more hours on the interstate highway than they did on local highways. They averaged 45 mph on local highways and 55 mph on interstate highways. How many hours did they spend on local highways? If anyone can help me ASAP, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

theLoser

17 year(s) ago

Ok, it took me a second, but I believe I got it. Start by taking the 45 mph and multiplying it by your unknown, I'll just use x. You know 2 more hours were spent at 55 mph, so make the other unknown x+2 and multiply it by 55. This gives you: 45x+55(x+2). Set this equal to your distance (45x+55(x+2)=560) and solve for x and you get the hours spent on local highways.

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

[b]theLoser wrote:[/b] [quote]Ok, it took me a second, but I believe I got it. Start by taking the 45 mph and multiplying it by your unknown, I'll just use x. You know 2 more hours were spent at 55 mph, so make the other unknown x+2 and multiply it by 55. This gives you: 45x+55(x+2). Set this equal to your distance (45x+55(x+2)=560) and solve for x and you get the hours spent on local highways.[/quote] Hey! Thank you sooooo much for your help! I totally owe ya one! I am not that great with story problems or with most logic problems, so that problem had me stumped! Thanks for explaining it to me, 'cause I think I got it now! Thanks a bunch!

theLoser

17 year(s) ago

No problem. B) I'm currently in calculus, so it's nice to do a problem I actually understand for a change. I actually really don't like math, yet it's one of my best subjects, but calculus is really throwing me.

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

I hate math and it's my worst subject (I have a B in my pre-calc. class, which happens to be the only class I don't have an A in :( )! I just don't do well at all with story problems, 'cause for some reason I'm not that good with logic stuff! By the way, you were right with the work you gave me, 'cause my math teacher ended up going over the problem with my class and she gave us the exact same equation you gave me! I hope you don't mind if I ask for help again, theLoser, 'cause you seem really smart to me! THanks again for your help!

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

By the way, this calculus stuff messes me up too! lol

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)