Login

First Chapter

KattyKit

16 year(s) ago

Grammatical errors most likely hidden somewhere. “See ya in the mornin’, Sam,” Jessica was gathering her papers in preparation to head home for the night. “Night, Jess,” Sam was the security guard for ChemTech Laboratories, a research facility located just outside of Houston. Sam waited for Jessica to head out the door then locked it behind her. He made his way to the control center in the northwest wing of the building, wondering idly whether Cecilia, his wife, had put the kids to bed already. Sam and Cecilia had taken the kids out to the zoo and for picnic earlier that day. The stark white walls and floors of the hallway seemed to glow in the dark as Sam walked. His footsteps echoed through the cavernous corridor. ChemTech was a large corporation, with several facilities based around the nation. ChemTech, constantly working on projects for the military, was currently in the midst of creating some new formula. Sam didn’t know what it was or what it was for, he just knew that he had to guard it. Sam arrived at the control center. It was a small room with several monitors and buttons covering the rooms. From here, Sam could see the entire complex with no difficulty. In the corner, there was a small table with a refrigerator and coffee pot. Sam made poured himself a cup of coffee, pulled out a donut from the refrigerator, and sat down in one of the chairs near the main monitor section. Sam was the only guard on duty tonight. The big bosses didn’t think it necessary to have more than one person on duty each night, not with ChemTech’s super-high tech alarm systems. Sam thought that they were just asking for trouble, but what did Sam know? He was a simple security guard. ‘Course, that is what they pay me for. Sam thought with a tight frown on his face. He shrugged to himself and ran his fingers through his sandy-brown hair. Sam to a sip of coffee and turned to the monitors, which were focused on the main doors and offices. Nothing seemed amiss. He pressed a button on the panel in front of him and the screens all flickered and changed to view another part of the building, the labs and inner hallways. Everything seemed okay there, too. Sam pressed the button again and cameras showed him the outside of the complex. Hello. There was a small shadow moving across the yard. “Well, what do we have here?” Sam mused aloud. He fingered another button and the picture zoomed in. When he got it focused, the thing had disappeared. Sam, growing concerned, zoomed back out and searched the entire grounds. He couldn’t find whatever the shadow was anywhere. Assuming that it was just his imagination, Sam turned the monitors back onto the entryway and offices. There it was again! The shadow quickly flew across the room and out of sight from the hidden cameras. Sam quickly changed the screens to the hallway. Whatever the thing was, it was as big as a pro basketball player and just as fast. It practically glided across the floor. Sam expected the shadow to head toward the labs, but it instead moved to the left, not the right. The only thing that particular hallway led to was the control center. The thing was headed straight for him! Sam jumped up and ran to lock the door, but as he wheeled around, it was already right behind him. Sam got his first good look at the thing. It was a man after all. He was dressed completely in black leather. The man’s skin was dark, as was his hair. Everything about him was dark, even his eyes. It was like looking at a living shadow. The shadow-man said not a word. He just raised his hand and something knocked Sam to the floor. Sam didn’t see what it was that hit him and was too surprised to say anything. The man dropped something on the ground next to him. It was a playing card, a jack- of- spades. That was the last thing Sam ever saw. Whatcha think?

Bittersweet

16 year(s) ago

I think I need MORE. :D

KattyKit

16 year(s) ago

I'm workin' on it. If you ask me in a pm, I'll give you a spoiler.

Bittersweet

16 year(s) ago

Ooh... that is tempting...

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)