Login

Food Sensitivities

Cowgurl4JC

12 year(s) ago

Just recently, I found out I have a food sensitivity to wheat gluten and refined sugar. It's not celiac disease or anything like that, more actually a hidden food allergy that has been slowly breaking down my body for a long time. Left untreated, it could lead to other problems such as celiac disease or other more serious issues. So along with taking several whole food supplements to bring my body back into balance, my nutritionist (he's also my chiropractor; pretty awesome since I can kill two birds with one stone every week in one appointment), he also suggested slowly changing my diet to eating gluten-free. Which is what I've been trying to do. So I've been trying to do that by buying a couple of gluten-free cookbooks and trying some recipes and overall, trying to stay away from gluten and refined sugar (except it's extremely hard since I'm not at home a lot. Only long enough to work my horse, shower, eat, do some school, and go to bed. That's about it). The only thing is, I still don't know really anything about going gluten-free, what would be safe to eat, eating out a restaurants (which doesn't happen that often, thank God), etc. So here is where I need some advice. Could any of you tell me where I could start researching this? As we all know, the internet is HUGE and my researching skills stink. I quickly get overwhelmed with results and have trouble figuring out what is good information or not. Even if it's just a way to get started would be a tremendous help too me. Although, if any of you know somebody who has these issue, that would be even better. Basically, amidst all this rambling, I just need a place to start at. And most likely a lot of support.

Confederate

12 year(s) ago

Bedford, Va has a place called The Well. It's not the same as the malls' GNC stores as it's more of a health store for the nutrition-conscious. It has gluten-free products. Maybe where you live has a store like The Well. I don't know if this is gluten-free; but try whole wheat (brown) flower if you're able to use it. As for sugar, there's raw sugar. You can get raw sugar in the grocery stores. There's also brown sugar in the same stores. These sugars aren't refined. I hope this was helpful.

Bittersweet

12 year(s) ago

About all I can say is be careful of grains, because most grains contain wheat. And Chex cereal I've been told is gluten free. But that's all I know. Sorry. :/

THeMadHatter

12 year(s) ago

Any grocery store in your area should have a "healthy food" isle, where they stock the dietary stuff and whatnot.. That's where you'll find a lot of gluten free things. I know HyVee has that isle, though idk if you have one in your area. Also, here's this: http://www.gluten-free-today.com/list-of-gluten-free-foods.html You can find lists online that will help you find what will and will not be good for you.

NinjaUnicorn

12 year(s) ago

We're in the same boat. I just recently found out that I have food sensitivities to peanut butter, rice, wheat, tomatoes, corn, and soy. So basically I can't eat anything.

NinjaUnicorn

12 year(s) ago

Oh my gosh I just posted on something that's months old. I'm acting like a n00b. :/ Disregard this.

keyseya

12 year(s) ago

Kayla, I think we'll forgive you because you aren't around much. Plus, these forums have been pretty quiet lately.

Cowgurl4JC

12 year(s) ago

Nah don't worry about it, Kayla. I've been on an unplanned hiatus myself due to horses and school. Have you checked out the bookstore in the cookbook section? There might be some books with recipes to get around your sensitivities. I've found a couple good gluten-free cookbooks with great cake recipes I used a couple times. Along with my wheat sensitivity, I'm sensitive to dairy, refined sugar, egg yolks, and corn. Soy and rice milk have been a Godsend. That and smoothies and shakes for breakfast.

keyseya

12 year(s) ago

So what do you eat Jess? Soy and rice milk, meat, lentil type foods...?

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)