Login

HELP!!!!

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

I was wondering if anyone could please help me with this one problem on my math homework assignment (it isn't division of polynomials like I posted before). It is confusing and I need help! Here it is (I'll put the directions for it first): In Exercises 53-56, using only algebra, fins a cubic function with the given zeros. Support by graphing your answer. 56. 1, 1 + (square root of) 2, 1 - (square root of) 2 I couldn't figure out how to put a square root over the number twos. Anyways, I could do the graphing part on my own, I just don't know how to get the cubic function. I think it has something to do with making an equation with the roots and then putting the equation in standard form, I just don't know how to solve the equation out; I don't even know if I'm solving it the right way. Could someone please help me with 56.? Thanks!

theLoser

17 year(s) ago

Being zeros, the three values given are the x coordinates for places where the y coordinates are 0. So, set each one equal to x and solve to get a 0 on one side of the equation. Ex: x=1 becomes x-1=0 So you have x-1=0 x-1-()2=0 x-1+()2=0 Now just get rid of the 0's and multiply the x-1, x-1-()2, and x-1+()2 together and you have your cubic -I just used () for the square roots in case you couldn't tell ;)

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)