Login

Hope chest/glory box

keyseya

13 year(s) ago

I have a whole lot of stuff, mainly kitchenware, that I've been collecting over the past couple of years for when I get married and I was wondering if anyone else has a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_chest]glory box[/url]? Currently it's just in cardboard boxes but the concept is still the same. Do you think it's a silly thing to do? I didn't start out with the intention of having a glory box but most of the presents I get I don't want to use until i have my own house and finish flatting in fear of them getting wrecked by careless flatmates... Thoughts?

Freakyone

13 year(s) ago

I have an old suit case that I keep things like that and my old journals in... I hope to get a real hope chest soon.

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

My mom has a couple of hope chests, with some stuff from my great-great grandmother's china and such inside. Of course it's not silly. It's an investment.

keyseya

13 year(s) ago

[b]KattyKit wrote:[/b] [quote]Of course it's not silly. It's an investment.[/quote] I'm so going to quote this next time Logan tells me I can't buy something! :D

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

Be warned: It doesn't always work.

Britneyakabethany91

13 year(s) ago

I have what I call a Hope Chest. My grandfather bought for me a couple of months ago. I am getting married next year and the chest has come in handy. My mom has bought me pots and pans. I also have some dish cloths and tows in there as well as some keepsakes that I want to take with me. I enjoy packing and adding stuff to my hope chest. :DB) [i][/i]

Cowgurl4JC

13 year(s) ago

Man, I really want a hope chest. I have a collection of china dishes that I got from great-grandma, I think. I also have a box of actual porcelain dolls that became part of my inheritance from my great-grandma when she died.

dancingwithtomatoes42

13 year(s) ago

well... I started out with one, but gradually my grandmothers have added things to the first... so now I have two. They are full of antiques that are gorgeous, but not really all that practical. But it's the thought that counts, right? (:

Britneyakabethany91

13 year(s) ago

I believe what should go into your hope chest should be something that will make your house when you are married homie. decorations can go in although I tend to limit what I put in on that account because my soon to be husband may have another idea for decorating the house. But yes anything that would go into a house weather it be stuff like tows and stuff for a bathroom. Some sheets. Dishes for the kitchen as well as silverware and pots and pans ext... Also doiles for setting things on and what ever else you would need to set up house. Back in the olden days they made table coths, sheets, pillow cases, curtens. Baically everything they would need minus the furniture to set up house keeping.

keyseya

13 year(s) ago

Ick, I hate doilies!

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)