Login

In God We Trust

MisterNathan

17 year(s) ago

So, I have a project due soon talking about "In God We Trust" being our motto, being on our currency, and "Under God" being in the Pledge of Allegiance. The words "under God" haven't always been in the Pledge of Allegiance, but they're there now and they should stay, say Utah lawmakers. "We believe that it is important that we recognize a supreme being in the founding, and in the prosperity and the continued prosperity of our country," said state Rep. Kerry Gibson, R-Ogden. Gibson's sponsoring a resolution that, if passed by the Legislature, would express the body's support for retaining "under God." The House Government Operations Committee unanimously approved the bill on Monday. It now goes to the full House of Representatives. Gibson said the reaffirmation is necessary because of "significant attacks on those words," and they do have a controversial history. "Under God" was not in the Pledge of Allegiance when it was written in 1892, nor was it in the version adopted by Congress in 1942. Congress added the words in 1954. A recent lawsuit challenged that addition as a breach of the separation of church and state, and in 2002 a federal appeals court ruled in favor of the challenge. The U.S. Supreme Court overturned that ruling, deciding that the person bringing the suit didn't have standing to sue. A new lawsuit is pending. Though he voted for the resolution, Rep. Neil Hansen, D-Ogden, also asked one question posed by the lawsuit -- does requiring students to recite the pledge also mandate participation in a religious act? "I don't think so," said Gibson. "I don't think in any way, shape or form this breaks that argument of separation. "We're just saying that our country was founded on a strong belief in God, and that needs to continue to be a part of our Pledge of Allegiance, just like it is on our money and so forth." "In God We Trust" was added to paper money in 1955 and adopted as the national motto in 1956, superseding "E Pluribus Unum" (out of many, one). "In God We Trust" started appearing on U.S. coins in the 1860s. Rep. Curtis Oda, R-Clearfield, said the resolution and the "under God" phrase are "completely nondenominational." "There's nothing that says here they have to say, 'under God,' in the pledge," he said. "They can skip that on their own if they so wish." HJR 12, Resolution Reaffirming the words, under God, in the Pledge of Allegiance Rep. Kerry Gibson, R-Ogden Expresses support for the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. VERSIONS OF THE PLEDGE Original, as penned in 1892 by Francis Bellamy: "I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." 1923: At the National Flag Conference, "my flag" was replaced with "the flag of the United States." "Of America" was added a year later. 1954: Congress adds the words "under God," in part as a rallying point against "godless" communism. http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/210860/3/ I need to hear opposing sides. Discuss.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)