Login

Intro to Proverbs 1

POC777

14 year(s) ago

For this study, I'll be using the KJV 1611. I been reading Proverbs for years now and it gets better every month. The LORD has shown me gems hidden beneath the text that I would like to share with all of you. In Proverb 14, Solomon gives us a series of proverbs from a mother's lack of family values(v.1) to a king's favor or wrath against his servant(v.35). The word "but" is repeated from vv.1-6 not verse 7. It begins again in vv.8-9 in vv.10 is not; vv.11-12 not vv.13-14; vv.15-16 not v.17-19; vv.20-21 not verse 22; vv.23-25 not verse 26-27; 28-32 not verse 33 and vv.34-35. There are obvious reasons why verses 7,10,13-14,17-19,22,26-27 & 33 don't mention the word "but". Perhaps Solomon wanted us to learn something in order to treasure it in our hearts(Proverb 2:1-5). Treasuring the Word of God should be our main goal in the Christian life because without treasuring His Word we will live a life of sin. That's not how God wants us to live but to live for Him alone(Psalm 119:9-11) The word "but" is mentioned in the Bible thousands of times. For example, when Daniel's three friends were persecuted by Nebuchadnezzar and thrown alive into the fiery furnace for not worshiping the gods of Babylon and bowing down to a ninety-foot statue. They knew in their hearts God was their deliverer and were faithful to Him even in the "shadow of death". They were entirely devoted to God! Are we like them whenever we go through temporal trials? I hope so and pray we all do! In Daniel 3:17-18, we read "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. BUT if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up". The Book of Proverbs To better understand the book of Proverbs we need to use a principle: The name of the Book will reveal what the book is all about. The English word proverb is really composed of two Latin words--pro, which means "instead of," and verba, which means "words". So, a proverb is a short statement that is used "instead of many words.". Furthermore, the Hebrew word for proverb means "comparison". Therefore, these proverbs are wise sayings that have been condensed into dramatic scenes or contrasts that are easily remembered. This book teaches us the practical application of godliness. Almost every aspect of life is touched upon: our duty to God, our parents, children, neighbors, and work, as well as our duty as citizens. Author Solomon, who was famous for his wisdom and wealth, wrote most of the book of Proverbs. The Bible tells us in 1 Kings 4:29 that God had given him wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand of the sea shore. He wrote 3,000 proverbs and 1,005 songs. For fun reasons, I counted 851 proverbs(the verses) minus chapters 30-31 because they're written by Kings Agur and Lemuel. Kings and queens all over the world heard about his fame and came to listen to Solomon speak. He taught them about botany and zoology(1 Kings 4:32-34). I strongly believe Solomon was a scientist and for about hundreds of years now many scientists have been learning from him. But the first Scientist is God because he didn't study or need to, because He created the heaven and the earth with everything in them by wisdom, understanding and knowledge(Proverb 3:19-20). He created our brains so we could study about His creation(Romans 1:19-20) There are 31 proverbs---one for each day of the month. The chapter that is the number of the day of the month that you were born might be called "your proverb." Read and memorize it, and your spiritual life will be deepened. This concludes the introduction, LORD willing, next week we'll study v.1. Read and study Proverb 1 though out the week to be prepared and not be caught off guard. God bless you!

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)