Login

Just a thought...

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

So, I'm reading the second book in [i]The Looking Glass Wars[/i] trilogy, and it introduces a man vs. woman thing. One country is a kingdom, where males are dominant and women are viewed as inferior, and Wonderland is a queendom, where everyone's equal. The king of the kingdom basically views women as chattel and nothing more. In the picture that is in the book, he's basically in a harem. This raised just a thought I thought I'd share. Women who sleep around are viewed as easy, or (excuse my language) whores. So.... What do we call men who sleep around? How come it's always women who are viewed in a negative light for being lustful, but when men do the same thing, they are congratulated? Just kinda confusing to me.

keyseya

13 year(s) ago

[quote]What do we call men who sleep around?[/quote] Man-whores. [quote]How come it's always women who are viewed in a negative light for being lustful, but when men do the same thing, they are congratulated?[/quote] Because we live in a male dominated world where women have become sexualised etc etc. Women who have, for lack of a better word/term, large sex drives or who sleep around are seen as immoral and unladylike. Put together with the media portrayed images of 'whores' in incredibly short skirts, high heels and tight tops with their breasts about to fall out it has no other way of looking but bad. But I agree... Why do guys get medals as such for every girl they do, while girls get a black mark? Hmmm, I think I shall talk to Hollie about this as I'd like to hear what she has to say.

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

Me too.... See she'll let you post her reply.

Owlright

13 year(s) ago

I don't know if men are always congratulated. Pig, womanizer, player, rake, philanderer. There are words for men who sleep around too. I agree that the standards for men are looser than for women, but it's to be expected in the patriarchal world that we live in. Although if I may add, I have found that women are often (not always) the first to call other women names like whore, rather than men.

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

Yeah... I think it has to do with part jealousy, part mirror-complex.

keyseya

13 year(s) ago

Ok, here is Hollie's response. She's much better at putting things into words than I. [quote] Hmm. Well, personally I call men that sleep around man-hoes, but that's just me lol. The reason women are viewed in a negative light is because of a holdover from centuries gone by. The belief was that men slept around for practice (because one needs to practice in order to know how to insert pointy object into hole, I guess?), whereas decent women were not expected to enjoy sex. It was simply required of them in order to produce babies. Sex was seen as a sign of manliness, and so the more women you slept with and the more skills you acquired, the manlier you were. Another belief was that men were not supposed to love their wives. Their wives were supposed to be a friend or someone to look down on with a sort of condescending affection, and the husband would go to a mistress for love, and prostitutes for sex. I guess the idea originally arose from men misreading the Bible just so they could indulge in their sexual urges without having to feel bad about it. This mentality has slowly been replaced over the past century, but the old ideas of women who sleep around being prostitutes has stuck with society. [/quote] QFT.

NinjaUnicorn

13 year(s) ago

I was thinking about this the other day, no joke. There are double standards. Whether we like it or not, they exist. I'm not going to type out my thoughts on this because Hollie pretty much said everything that's been going through my head. With what has been said, I'd like to point out that this double standard doesn't exist everywhere. I've seen in my community (particularly my high school) that players just don't fly. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a girl get played and her best guy friend give the player a lesson in how to respect women. I guess it just depends on where you are.

KattyKit

13 year(s) ago

I like that best guy friend, Kayla. Tell Hollie thanks. She does have a talent for putting feelings into words.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)