Login

Let\'s judge each other!

BrotherReed

13 year(s) ago

Speaking of Gilliam, can I just say I love Brazil? And 12 Monkeys? But Brazil even more? Now you wanna talk about a movie with great sets... Brazil has some amazing friggin sets. Movie blew my mind and I love it for that. Agree to disagree on Brian I guess, but the fact that we're even having this discussion is cool in my mind. Btw, how is it that you're just one state over from me [i]and[/i] have good taste in movies but we've never gone out? Just throwing that out there :p

javie

13 year(s) ago

[b]Jekkie wrote:[/b] [quote]Time for a one-minute review. Just got back from Black Swan and I really liked it, if not loved it. The first act was clunky, but the rest of the film was really hypnotic and fascinating. Great script, interesting characters, thought-provoking themes - the works. Oh, and the final act is nightmare fuel. 'Nuff said.[/quote] I can't even think about watching that movie after seeing that woman from the Star Wars prequels. To my opinion, she can't act at all. V for Vendetta on the other hand I have not seen yet. I do know that she is in the movie, but only saw the scene where she was thrown in prison, and when she got her buzz cut. I guess that was symbolic enough for me to know how miserable her career really is. I don't know. If she isn't as bad as I say, give me another movie that she wasn't bad in. And no, I don't mean Black Swan. Something else, please.

BrotherReed

13 year(s) ago

Natalie Portman is a good actress. You can't judge the quality of any performer by the Star Wars prequels. She had the most atrocious lines to spit, I defy anyone to make it sound good. Even Hayden Christensen isn't nearly as bad as you'd think. George Lucas just can't direct actors, or write dialog.

Jekkie

13 year(s) ago

What Reed said. However, I'll humor you and recommend that you see Leon: The Professional. It's only a decent movie at best, but her role is one of the highlights.

javie

13 year(s) ago

Now how about making a list of movies that has been overrated. When I say this, I mean movies that aren't as great as they say. I really do mean the over hyped ones. And yes, I will give you my reasons for why. [IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/ether2105/tourist2010.jpg[/IMG] The commercials were deceiving enough to keep you from knowing that it was an incredibly boring movie that got 3 Golden Globe nominees. I can say that the movie speaks for itself that it got so many great reviews and a big box office score. But when its actually a bad movie when it gets so much hype, and the movie speaks for itself, I look at it as if the movie is talking back to me. So I try to tell it to shut up! [IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/lostreasureman/jesse%20james/JesseJames1sht-1.jpg[/IMG] I was fascinated back then of how many people said that they liked this film. Even today my mind gets blown away of how so many people would say that they loved this incredibly boring movie. I couldn't even get pass the 10-minute mark. It was that boring! Some people have told me that I shouldn't just watch 10 minutes of a movie and not watch the rest, but do you really want to waste your time watching a movie that your immediately hate? [IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/seyya/Movie-Poster-The-Warriors.jpg[/IMG] It was just okay. Not great, but not bad. It was just mindless for me. [IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/seyya/Movie-Poster-The-Warriors.jpg[/IMG] At first, I thought that this movie really redeemed itself. I thought it was great at the time when I first saw this movie. I even said that in my review on this movie. But now that it has been over 5 years passed, it didn't even age very well. The story still has so many plot holes that weren't explained, it raised up even more questions that needed to be explained, and the acting wasn't even that good. My two greatest disappointments were Christopher Lee's time of being in the movie, and Darth Vader's few lines. And the one movie that I still can't believe that everyone talks about: [IMG]http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/newelltiger/avatar-movie-poster1.jpg[/IMG] Just when you thought I have bashed on this movie hard enough on my review, I also have to admit that it was not also a movie that didn't have just an unoriginal story and plot line, but it was also boring, all at the same time. I felt as if this movie only had about only a teaspoon of action. The rest of the movie is just nothing but dialog, pretty effect, dialog, pretty effect, you get my point. It was just a lame, boring disappointment of leaving the action on the end of the movie. Guys, get over it. Just because a movie that was filmed by a brilliant director, who made this film just to give his reason for gun control, and just because it has special effects that were perfect, that not even I ever complained about, doesn't mean that it was an entertaining movie. That's why I have no choice, but to rate this movie with a 2.5/5. Not as low as my original review, but that's low enough.

BrotherReed

13 year(s) ago

I actually agree with you that Jesse James is overrated in the film community. It's treated with an almost uncanny reverence that I think overplays the film's modest joys. It's not a bad movie by any means, but it does drag. And while you're under no obligation to watch more than 10 minutes of anything, I will say that unless you've seen the entire movie your criticism is meaningless. Heck, I turned off critical darling Little Miss Sunshine after 20 minutes cause I hated it and didn't want to watch the rest. But I have no business reviewing the thing unless I go back and finish it. Also, who is speaking highly of The Tourist? I don't know anyone who's seen it or recommended it. There's virtually zero buzz for it, so I don't see how it's overrated.

Owlright

13 year(s) ago

[b]BrotherReed wrote:[/b] [quote]Speaking of Gilliam, can I just say I love Brazil? And 12 Monkeys? But Brazil even more? Now you wanna talk about a movie with great sets... Brazil has some amazing friggin sets. Movie blew my mind and I love it for that. Agree to disagree on Brian I guess, but the fact that we're even having this discussion is cool in my mind. Btw, how is it that you're just one state over from me [i]and[/i] have good taste in movies but we've never gone out? Just throwing that out there :p[/quote] lol I'm a huge sucker for retro-future in every way and dystopian Orwellian themes; I adore Brazil. The set design is amazing, it's like a grim Hugh Ferris gone to town. Can't say I've seen 12 Monkeys. I'm no Bruce Willis fan and thus haven't been in any rush to see it. [quote] I can't even think about watching that movie after seeing that woman from the Star Wars prequels. To my opinion, she can't act at all. V for Vendetta on the other hand I have not seen yet. I do know that she is in the movie, but only saw the scene where she was thrown in prison, and when she got her buzz cut. I guess that was symbolic enough for me to know how miserable her career really is. I don't know. If she isn't as bad as I say, give me another movie that she wasn't bad in. And no, I don't mean Black Swan. Something else, please.[/quote] What Reed said (although I do think Hayden Christensen really is that bad. Have you [i]seen[/i] Jumper? gag) From what I've seen of her, she was quite good in Brothers. The movie itself wasn't that great, but all the actors did a good job. And I'm told Garden State is a good film, though I've never seen it myself.

Owlright

13 year(s) ago

Aw I love Jesse James. It is boring and drags at times, but the acting from Casey Affleck is fantastic and it's really well done for what it is. It's not trying to be a flashy western shoot-out kind of movie.

BrotherReed

13 year(s) ago

I'm gonna be honest, I just now read your write-up under Avatar and I lol'd at Cameron being a brilliant director. Aliens is one of my all-time favorite movies but that doesn't make Cameron an auteur. Btw I loved Avatar in the theater - it was really an experience. The depth of field with the 3-D was spectacular. It's the only movie so far to be worth watching in 3-D, imo. But when I think back on it there's nothing to make me want to see it again. It looks nice on Blu Ray; that's about it. And as for Jesse James, well owl I agree with everything you said about it. Except the part about loving it. I merely like it. My own overhyped films: 1. Forrest ****ing Gump. Practically everyone I know thinks this is one of the greatest movies ever. I think it's... not quite crap, but below average. Schmaltzy, manipulative, with a highly questionable message. 2. American Psycho. This may not be popular here but on the other movie board I visit most people love it. I found it just above average. Ending is unsatisfying and the whole thing is very distasteful. It's supposed to be a dark comedy but it isn't very funny. 3. Gladiator/Braveheart. This is doubly true in Christian circles where these are like the only R-rated movies that men are supposed to watch. Braveheart is the better film, and actually a great movie. I'm not bashing Braveheart. I just think people, mainly guys, are way too into it. Gladiator is a good movie but not nearly the masterpiece it's made out to be. 4. Anything by Wes Anderson that isn't The Life Aquatic. Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums... middling films the lot of 'em. They have a unique style but don't really do anything for me. I tend to find them a bit juvenile and embarrassing, especially Rushmore. 5. Almost anything by Stanley Kubrick, including Strangelove and 2001 and especially A Clockwork Orange. On the other hand, I think Eyes Wide Shut is under appreciated. I guess I'll stop there. It's harder to defend these negative opinions than it is the positive ones.

Owlright

13 year(s) ago

I'll join in; here's my opinion on what films are overrated/hyped: [b]The Hurt Locker[/b]. I actually really like this movie. It bucks the usual war movie conventions and the tension is intense throughout, but it is not the Oscar winner that people say it is. The sub-plot with the boy I found an annoying excuse to try to inject some sensitivity into Renner's character, and I felt like the acting was a bit self-aware, if that makes sense. It dragged a lot and needed tightening up. [b]Little Miss Sunshine[/b]. I [i]have[/i] seen the whole thing, and I don't understand the fascination. There was only one scene I thought was good. It's slow, and dull, and awkward. The ending of the pageant is distasteful and not funny. Overrated in every way. [b]Dead Poet's Society[/b]. Don't get me wrong, I quite like this movie, but I don't think it's as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. It's well acted and still moving, but I find it vaguely pretentious and overly contrary. Agree 100% on Braveheart as well.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)