Login

Leviticus19:18

Mal316

14 year(s) ago

In stating the second of the two greatest commandments at Matthew 22:39, Jesus did not quote from the Aseret Divrot (10 Commandments) but rather from the Holiness Code found in Leviticus. And he said, [color=#0000FF]"And the second is like unto it. Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."[/color] (KJV) Love your neighbor as yourself. It's a very famous passage. Probably the best well known passage in the book of Leviticus. At least that part. But that's the second part of the verse. What comes before? I submit that's much less well known, but no less deserving of being committed to memory. Turn to Leviticus, to the 19th chapter. The beginning of verse 18 is extremely important. It sets up the rest of the verse. [color=#0000FF]Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people[/color].... (KJV) This passage is why I asked about something to borrow in OD. Let's discuss. On second thought.... I'll discuss. You read. Jump in if so moved. :) Now, before I give the following examples, I'd like to say that I don't know youse and I'm only giving hypotheticals. I do not mean to suggest that people would not let me borrow a requested item. Well, except for KattyKit who basically admitted as much. ;) *Ahem* "Thou shalt not avenge." Other translations say "do not take revenge." How can this be illustrated? Suppose I went to Freakyone [sorry I don't know your name, just using you as an example] and said, "let me borrow your camera." And for whatever reason, she denied me. Should she then come to me at a later date and ask to borrow a camera from me, and I say, "No. You did not let me borrow your camera so I won't let you borrow mine," that is taking revenge. I pay the person back in the same manner I was treated. You won't let me borrow a camera; you can't borrow mine. How about bearing a grudge? Suppose I went to... let's pick on someone else... KattyKit, and asked to borrow some CD's and she said, "no," for whatever reason. Should she come to me later and ask to borrow....oh....idk... money and I say, "Even though you did not let me borrow your CD's, I'm going to let you borrow some money because I'm not like you," that is bearing a grudge. I remind the person of how she denied me and it's obvious that the hurt is still festering in my heart. By letting her borrow something of mine and throwing in her face that she did not do the same for me, I'm bearing a grudge. I'm a 'holier-than-thou' type who likes to rub people's noses in their sins. There we have the difference between taking revenge and bearing a grudge. They are both still sins. And they are both not loving our neighbor. How do we know? Notice the very next word after "nor bear a grudge against the children of thy people" It's "but." A hugely important little word in the Bible. Don't do the preceding (avenge, bear a grudge) but.... But, to indicate contrast. To show the proper way. Taking revenge and bearing a grudge is wrong. What comes next is what's right as indicated by the word "but." Don't do this, but, do this instead. Do what? And here we have it.... [color=#0000FF]"but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. I am the Lord."[/color] (KJV) Why add "I am the Lord?" To teach us that even if nobody else knows about our taking revenge or bearing a grudge, God does. Don't hate your brother in your heart. (Lev 19:17) Don't hate your brother by taking revenge or bearing a grudge. Instead, love your neighbor. If I am denied a request to borrow something, the proper response is not revenge nor bearing a grudge. Should something be asked to be borrowed of me, I should freely give. Don't withhold the item. Don't remind the person of their past sin. It's basically turning the other cheek. It's forgiving without being asked. It's being holy as He is holy. Be well :) Leo

Mal316

14 year(s) ago

Love your neighbor as yourself. This command sums up our duty towards each other. The post above gives a couple examples on how we are to love our neighbors as ourselves. How else can we fulfill this command to love one another?

Mal316

14 year(s) ago

"Thou shalt not avenge." Lev 19:18 (KJV) And elsewhere, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." Romans 12:19 (KJV) Revenge might be tempting when denied a request to borrow something. How much more so when a more grievous hurt has been done? But the verse from Leviticus does not allow for taking revenge for a more serious hurt. It simply says don't take revenge. Question: What about the blood avenger? See [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deut%2019&version=KJV]Deuteronmy 19 [/url]. Verses 6 and 12 specifically mention the blood avenger. Is this an exception to the rule not to take revenge? How do we reconcile this with Paul's advice at [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2012:17-21&version=KJV]Romans 12:17-21[/url] about not taking revenge?

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)