Login

Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin?

MisterNathan

17 year(s) ago

Something Llywen brought up in the Males Only Forum that I hadn't really thought about before. Does God love the sinner and hate the sin? Are there people He actually hates? Romans 9:13 Psalms 5:5 Proverbs 6:16-19

linguist4Christ

17 year(s) ago

I dont think that God could hate anybody. He pities the lost and all those kings in the Old Testament that turned away from Him found themselves in some serious trouble. Then if and or when they got right with God again ( i.e; sincerely repented, and turned away from the sin they were doing and followed God) He would bring them victories in battle again and increase their abundence. I believe that He does hate the sin, though. By example Jesus showed us that the women who was going to be stoned shouldnt be hated, but her sin was.( I m not sure how great an example that is...but you get my point) God loves everybody, nomatter what they have done and by repentence are then seen 'in Christ' and clean. The way I like to think about it is that at any given moment anybody could be our brother or sister in Christ. So, basically love everybody ( but not to the point of being intolerent of sin)

cloudspit

17 year(s) ago

[b]MisterNathan wrote:[/b] [quote]Something Llywen brought up in the Males Only Forum that I hadn't really thought about before. Does God love the sinner and hate the sin? Are there people He actually hates? Romans 9:13 Psalms 5:5 Proverbs 6:16-19[/quote] i dont see why God could not hate sin. here is the deffinition of "hate" hate  /heɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[heyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, hat‧ed, hat‧ing, noun –verb (used with object) 1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry. 2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it. –verb (used without object) 3. to feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility. –noun 4. intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility. 5. the object of extreme aversion or hostility.

Rider4Christ

17 year(s) ago

Anyone remember John 3:16? "For God so LOVED the WORLD that he GAVE his only begotten SON that whoever BELEIVES in him will have ETERNAL life!" If God hated us, then why would he send a way to salvation?

PirateGirl

17 year(s) ago

I really liked this topic, because I'm quite confused about that too. I've always wondered how a hell could exist, if God forgives sins. Is that correct, that God forgives all sins? I am certainly NOT an expert in Christianity so no need to bash me for it. I was just thinking, if a person has committed many sins, will they be shunned by God and damned to hell? And what exactly would happen if that person decided to confess their sins to a priest, and save themselves. Would this be acceptable to get into heaven, or still, would they go to hell? Just a few thoughts I've had about this sort of thing...

MisterNathan

17 year(s) ago

[b]PirateGirl wrote:[/b] [quote]I really liked this topic, because I'm quite confused about that too. I've always wondered how a hell could exist, if God forgives sins. Is that correct, that God forgives all sins? I am certainly NOT an expert in Christianity so no need to bash me for it. I was just thinking, if a person has committed many sins, will they be shunned by God and damned to hell? And what exactly would happen if that person decided to confess their sins to a priest, and save themselves. Would this be acceptable to get into heaven, or still, would they go to hell? Just a few thoughts I've had about this sort of thing...[/quote] Firstly, this really belongs in another topic, so I'll answer it briefly. 1. How could Hell exist if God forgives sin? God only forgives sin when we a) confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in our heart that God has raised Him from the dead (Romans 10:9) and b) ask God to forgive us of our sins (1 John 1:9). 2. Does God forgive all sins? Yes, with the exception of blasphemy. What is blasphemy? Well, there is a thread on this, I believe. Personally, I believe it is simply rejecting God 'till death (or something similar to that) in any way, shape, or form. 3. If a person commits many sins, will he be shunned by God and damned to Hell? We all commit countless sins. The thing is, will we accept God as the Lord of our life and ask God to forgive our sins? If not, then we have rejected God and have no place in Heaven. 4. What would happen if a person confessed to a priest and saved themselves? Would this be acceptable to get into Heaven, or would they go to Hell? A priest can not forgive sin. Only confessing to God will forgive your sin (1 John 1:9). Confessing to a priest, from what I know of Scripture, is only needed if you're considering the priest as an accountability partner. Also, you can not save yourself. Only God can save you. We are saved by grace, through faith, it's not of ourselves so no one can boast (Ephesians 2:8,9). If a person did what is required to be saved in Romans 10:9, however, then yes, they will be saved. I hope this helped. Now, on with the topic.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)