Login

Persecution and apathy.

Swinny89

17 year(s) ago

Living in persecution is hard, no doubt about it. Facing things like mistreatment, violence, torture, slander, insults, etc, are some of the most ravaging things a human being can go through. However, living in "peaceful" places such as America can be equally as trying for anyone living the Christian faith. In America, the enemy takes a different path in attacking the followers of Jesus Christ; he uses the power of comfort. In America, people of all different faiths and orientations coexist together, and this country expects people to "respect" others when it comes to beliefs. So, basically, everyone lives happily together and no one's faith is really tested because no one is allowed to do harm to those they don't agree with (that's the law!). In other, more hostile countries, if a group of people don't like your religion or the faith you align yourself with, they might kill/hurt/flog/harass/beat you! Doesn't it sound hard to be a Christian in those countries? Well, it's just as hard here in America. How? Well, in this situation, having a completely opposite situation (comfort as opposed to constant opposition) surprisingly yields unfortunate results. In many cases, it's even EASIER to be a Christian in the hostile areas! The fact of the matter is that when your faith isn't tested, when you are allowed to sit around all day on your butt and watch TV, when no one is there to try and stop you with force, you seriously risk becoming complacent; you risk becoming SATISFIED with a lower rung of spiritual life with God. Or, even worse, you risk giving into the tempting ways of this world, which, in America, are so elaborately served on a huge silver platter to us all, every single day of our lives through TV, radio, magazines, billboards, the internet, and more. Now, on the flip side, look at what happens when you are actually challenged in your walk with Christ. Look at what happens when you are literally threatened because of what you believe. That does something to a person, being threatened, and honestly, it's usually a good thing in the end. Christians in foreign countries who endure persecution don't just drop the faith and run away. No, they stand up. They are refined in the fire. They aren't distracted by the world because they know it for what it is: the enemy's playground. Because of this, and the constant threat of suffering, these men and women of faith are constantly left with no choice but to look to God for their strength, courage, and satisfaction in life. Here in America, we are taught to make a living; we are told to live the American dream! Here, we all are programmed to seek wealth, fame, and fortune! And with nothing to refine our faith, with nothing to really make us think about or take seriously our faith in the Lord Jesus, what else can we do? My question to you is, why strive to make our country a better place to live? I hope this was better explained than last time... I had my brother rewrite my thoughts for me after I explained it to him. Post edited by: Swinny89, at: 2007/07/13 20:16

Post edited by: Swinny89, at: 2007/07/13 20:17

SmilinBob

17 year(s) ago

[b]Swinny89 wrote:[/b] [quote] My question to you is, why strive to make our country a better place to live? [/quote] I think it is human nature to improve oneself. So naturally we want to make America a better place to live. I agree that one becomes stronger in their beliefs if they are constantly being tested. This is the case for my political beliefs living in such a conservative area I have become more liberal.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)