Login

ROMANS 6:11 QUESTION

ROB1

13 year(s) ago

I'd like to discuss this scripture: Romans 6:11 [color=#0000FF]11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. [/color] I know many Christians who believe that they are still sinners even though they are Christians, and many of those Christians also believe that it is impossible to live a sin free life throughfaith in Jesus Christ on this side of Heaven. Soooooo, my question is how can a Christian who believes they are still a sinner and can't stop sinning in this life truly be reckoning themselves "dead to sin" if they don't believe they can be truly dead to sin in this life?

ROB1

13 year(s) ago

Also, let me just let everyone know that I do not ascribe to a sinless perfection doctrine meaning I don't believe a person has to be perfect in order to get to Heaven. However, I do believe that the Bible to teaches us that we are not supposed to focus on the wickedness that is on our flesh, but who we are through faith in Jesus Christ. Scriptures like these are what I'm speaking of: 2 Cor 5: [color=#0000FF]16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. [b]17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new[/b].[/color] In other words we are supposed to consider ourselves "new creations", not patched up sinners. If we consider who we are in the flesh, we will definitely still live in the flesh and struggle to obey God, but if we focus on who Jesus says we are and what He has done for us - freeing us from the penalty of our sins and from the dominion that sin has over us, we will definitely grow in our faith in Jesus and proportionately grow in our desire and ability to obey Him. This is only possible through faith in Christ. Just wanted to clarify my position on the topic. :)

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)