Login

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World Review

javie

13 year(s) ago

I have been waiting to see this movie for such a long time. I'm not going to make some comments on the manga. I've never read or even heard of them till after I found out about this movie. But I still want to read them! What's stopping me is that I just bought the 4th volume of Trigun Maximum and I'm still in the process of reading the whole Rurouni Kenshin series. This is coming out from Edgar Wright, who made Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, which I really loved! For those of you who never watched this movie, yes, the things that you saw in the trailers are in the movie. All of the effects that you saw were not only for the trailers. Yes, it does have a lot of video game references, such as Zelda and Tetris. As a matter in fact, the whole movie was so much like a video game. Every single gamer will love to see this one. The special effects were so cool to look at. It's colorful and well edited. It made you feel as if this was suppose to be a video game to begin with, rather than a manga series. I also have to admit that I have heard that otaku in Canada is very bad. But after seeing this, I can see that Canadians can perfectly execute this. It has almost everything that gamers love. Kung Fu fighting, sword battles, and just about every single bits of video game references. When I said that earlier, I don't just mean that they made up their own generic video games. I also mean that they used the Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., NES, etc. The story is very simple to follow in this one. Its about this girl, Roxanne, who comes from NY to Toronto to get away from her past of the 7 evil ex-boyfriends that she has deal with. So Scott Pilgrim, who's also in his own band, falls in love with her, and then ends up fighting against her evil ex-boyfriends. That's it. No other explanation. The fighting scenes in this movie was just so much fun to watch. There is not one instance where it is just over rated and goes over the line to say that it is stupid to look at. It was easy to follow, and you won't get lost of what you are looking at. The jokes were pretty funny in this movie too. You will enjoy every single one of them. All, but except for the pee jokes and the gay jokes. Yes, there were gay scenes in this movie, but not to the point that it makes the movie gay. It's not really as much, and it doesn't overshadow it with saying that its only going to be gay jokes. So don't be too defensive about it. I think the gay scenes are the downfall of it. And its also not for kids either. So don't have them watch this movie, unless if you seen it first. I loved this movie, and as a gamer, I put this one as one of my favorite movies on my list. 4/5

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)