Login

Second Chapter

KattyKit

16 year(s) ago

This is all I got so far y'all. Sorry. “So what happened?” The man, dressed in a white suit with an orange mask, asked the lieutenant that called him in. “Well, Captain, we’re not exactly sure. The secretary came in and found the body in the control center. Apparently, he’s the night guard who had duty last night. Name’s Sam Roach. We can’t figure out how he died, that’s why we called you and your team.” “Hmmm,” Josh frowned. “Did you find anything that might help us find the killer? Or why he was killed?” “As for the who and what, not really. But for the why, turns out that something was stolen. It was some sort of new formula ChemTech was working on for the military,” The lieutenant sighed. “Kinda sad actually. The man had a wife and two kids.” Josh didn’t say anything. He looked at the body, which had not been carried out yet. Sam’s eyes looked up, but they didn’t see anything. Not anymore. Josh closed his eyes, keeping any thoughts from breaking free. There were three of the American Way up here, Onyx Hawk, Quicksilver, and himself. “Yo! Found something!” Onyx Hawk was kneeling over the body. “What is it?” He asked her. “I’m not sure, but it looks like a card or something. Come and have a look.” She pointed down towards the dead man’s breast pocket. Josh walked over and bent down. It was a card; it’s white edge sticking out of the pocket. “Let me get it out. We don’t want to touch anything.” Josh concentrated on the card and it floated out of the pocket. It was a jack-of-spades. He smiled. “Show off,” Onyx Hawk grumbled and rolled her eyes. “So what did they say was taken?” “Yes, it was a new formula ChemTech was working on. Military project.” “Naturally. So what does it do?” “No one really knows. It’s all hush-hush.” Quicksilver, walked up then. He had been watching the footage from the monitors. “Did you see anything?” Josh asked. “Not really. Just a shadow. Went through it with the infrared scanner and the blue-vi scanner, too. Nothing.” “I didn’t know that you had a blue-vi scanner in that helmet of yours!” Onyx Hawk looked at him with mock astonishment. “Must have slipped my mind.” “Alright, alright. Let’s focus you two.” Josh shook his head at them. “Let’s get that card back to base and analyze it. Maybe there’s some sort of residue on it.” “Sir, yes, sir!” Both of them said in unison. Josh just sighed and shook his head. “I’ll call Rebel and see if she can get the analyzing equipment out before we get there,” Onyx Hawk said. “Considering how fast that jet of yours is, I doubt it,” Quicksilver answered her. “We’ll see. Betcha a dollar that she can do it.” “Hah! You’re on!” Quicksilver laughed. “Come on. Let’s go,” Josh pushed them forward with a gentle telekinetic shove. “Okay! We’re going!” Onyx Hawk complained. “No need to get pushy!” Josh grinned. Fifteen minutes saw them land in the hanger at their base. The American Way HQ was located on one of the largest ranches in Texas, the Calico R. There were nine members to the American Way, a small, elite team of super-humans. “Hey, Reb! Got that equipment set up yet?” Onyx Hawk yelled. “Gee, I don’t know. What do you think?” A woman in ripped blue jeans and a torn T-shirt stepped out of the hangar. “I think it means that Onyx owes me a dollar,” Quicksilver laughed. “Hmph! I’ll get that back one of these days,” Onyx Hawk flipped her cape over her shoulder. Josh stepped out behind Quicksilver. “Hey, Josh, your twin is looking for you,” Rebel informed him. “Did she say what for?” “Nope, just that she wanted to talk to you.” “’Kay. I’ll go look for her,” Josh said, starting to walk away. “Uh, any idea where she is?” “I think that she headed for the stable.” Rebel shrugged and looked at Quicksilver and Onyx Hawk. “So where’s that evidence y’all told me ‘bout?” Josh headed toward the stables, leaving the trio to their own devices. If they couldn’t get anything off that card, no one could. Calla? Where are you? He probed for his sister’s mind. It was a long way to the stable and he didn’t want to go all that way and find that she wasn’t there. I’m in the kitchen. Cal and I are cooking lunch. She answered him. Which kitchen? There’s, like, five! If Cal’s with me, I’m in the main house. Honestly, Josh! Sometimes I wonder if I took all the brains. Josh could feel her exasperation. So what happened at ChemTech? I’ll let you know when I get there. Josh broke off, glad that he had thought to check with Calla first before arriving at the stable. “Hey, Jay!” Josh waved as he saw the teen coming near him. “What’s up?” “Nothing. I’ve got to go down and check some fence. Mom says that there’s a piece on the east side that looks a little ragged.” Jay’s bright, green eyes riveted on Josh. Jay was tall and lean, due to the feline and avian DNA in his blood. His eyes were shaped like a cat’s and as focused as a hawk’s. Jay brushed his sandy hair out of his face. “Need a haircut?” Josh grinned. “Heck no. And don’t suggest that to my mom. She’d pull out the scissors quicker ‘n you can say chop!” Jay exclaimed with mock horror. “Cal won’t here it from me. You’d best get down to that fence.” “See ya!” Josh waved as he watched Jay take off, his powerful, dark wings flapping with ease. Are you coming or what? Calla’s thoughts radiated impatience. Sorry, got sidetracked. Easy to do with you. Josh could practically see Calla’s eyes rolling. Relax. I’m on my way. What’s so important? Josh could feel that she was hiding something from him, he just couldn’t tell what it was. I’ll tell you when you get here, Calla insisted. Fine. I’m at the door now. Josh was standing in front of the back door of the main house. It was a modest two-story ranch house with adobe walls. “Hey, Calla! Cal! Let me in! The doors locked!” Josh shouted. Calla came over and unlocked the door. Her bright blue eyes, so much like Josh’s own, sparkled with excitement. “So what’s up, Blondie? Why was the door locked?” “I’ll tell ya why the door’s locked.” Calico smiled with sly amusement. “It’s to keep that idiot cat of mine out of the kitchen while I’m workin’.” Calico looked much like her son, except for her auburn hair. “So what couldn’t wait for me to change out of this ridiculous outfit that you ladies insist I wear?” Josh looked at them both with what he hoped was a stern gaze. Calla said nothing. She just held up a piece of paper. “You got the job! Those poor kids!” Josh exclaimed. Calico laughed while Calla smacked Josh. The paper was a signed job application for a teaching position at the local high school. “Whoa! Sibling fight.” Maria, Calico’s adopted daughter, entered the kitchen, just as Josh and Calla got into a slap fight. “Hey, Tia Cal? Where’s Jay?” “He should be out fixin’ fence.” Calico answered. “Why do you ask?” “I wanted to see if he would go to town with me.” Maria replied. “You can go ask, but tell him to finish the fence first.” “Will do.” Maria bounced away. “Well, have fun torturing smart aleck students,” Josh said as he stood up. “ I’m going to go see what Genius Cubed has got on a piece of evidence we picked up.” “Tell us if you find anything..” Calico smiled. “Now, git. We got stuff to cook and cowboys to feed. Out!” She smacked him with a spoon. Josh laughed and left.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)