Login

SEGA Genesis Collection

javie

13 year(s) ago

[IMG]http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo164/N3K0K3N/Fotos%20PSP/SegaGenesisCollection.jpg[/IMG] I don't really play too much of my PSP, only because I'm still not too big of a fan of the Playstation systems. I never had the PSX or the PS2 growing up. I only bought Nintendo's games and hardware. My dad bought me the PSP as a Christmas gift when I was in my junior year in high school. I only used it as only an MP3 player, until I bought Street Fight Alpha 3, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Namco Museum, Midway Arcade Treasures, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, one of my all time favorite. But right when I saw this game on the shelves of Gamestop, I had to get it. I made a great decision! On my first day of SEGA Genesis Month, I need to make myself clear that this collection alone has only 28 games. So this is what I'm going to do. On my first day, I will be doing a review on this collection, then after this, I will give my review on every single game in this collection. After that is over, I will give my conclusion on this collection with a final score. Then, on the 31st, I will give a short history of the later years of the SEGA Genesis and SEGA's downfall. Just to start off this great month, I will start by saying that this game has the most awesome intro I have ever seen, with its cool intro song. The only problem is that I can't find it anywhere. But I was able to get a hold of the main menu song, as to what one commentator said that it "should be elervator music": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nu9uPJql_k I have played almost every single game in this collection, and I love each and every one of them so far. All, but the Phantasy Star games. I was never a fan of any of them. Never was, never will. But they have all the great classics, such as the Sonic games (one and two), Shinobi III, Vector Man one and two, and the all so beloved Golden Axe. But the one game that I rate to be my second favorite Genesis game of all time is Altered Beast, which I will get into. Man, I can't wait to give my review on that one. This game does have some extras in it too. We can't forget about that part. They have arcade games that were release all the way back no earlier than 1981. They even have a SEGA cheat sheet, and interviews from the SEGA developers, directors and even composers too. That, and they even have trailers for Phantasy Star Universe (yuck!) and Virtura Fighter 5. All of these extras obviously have to be unlocked by either beating any game or getting a high score. All I can say is that this is going to be one heck of a month. I'm excited, and I hope that you will be excited too. So hang on tight!

javie

13 year(s) ago

[IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/unexsistant/SuperThunderBlade.jpg[/IMG] Super Thunder Blade. Sounds like something that should belong on the SNES. The way how I will choose the games i by starting from when they were first released. In Japan, it was released in October 29, 1988, but when it came out in the US, it was launched on August of 1989. So, if you happen to look at the instructions manual, and happen to look at both years from the manual and the game, always look at the Japanese release first. I have to be honest and say that I never knew just how old the Genesis was till I looked up the dates of these games. The only reason for why I bring this up is simply because that the graphics are impressive for something that was released in 1988, the music is well written and played. The controls, on the other hand, is not a walk in the park. For one of the first SEGA Genesis games ever release, SEGA really did pull off some controls that you do need to get use to. But when you do get use to it, it becomes way to easy, way too fast. All you are doing is just flying on a helicopter, going in a straight direction, towards the screen, and holding down the x button, shooting tanks and enemy helicopters. So there really isn't that much of a challenge to it. 2/5 Not the best game on the collection, but it was a great introduction of its time for the new era of 16 bit, and what the SEGA Genesis was capable of handling.

javie

13 year(s) ago

Sorry for not posting yesterday, I had a whole day of nothing, but homework. But now I am going to make up for what happen yesterday by giving you a double review. [IMG]http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/DirkMagirk__/alex-kidd.jpg[/IMG] This was one of the first games that I played when I was growing up with the Genesis as a kid. I didn't remember too much playing it as a kid. But I do remember seeing my uncle from my mom's side of my family played it all the way to the end of the game. MY experience from playing it is very limited, and what I mean by that is that I started playing it ever since I first got this collection. But what I can tell you is that it is a lot of fun. You play as Alex Kidd, who looks like a young Chuck Norris. He kicks when he jumps and he punches when you walk, stand or crawl. If that's not enough, he punches cars, until they disappear. Wow! He even kicks underground paths and punches airplanes too. You know what, screw it. You are playing as Chuck Norris, as a kid. I think that's what SEGA originally wanted to call it, but Chuck Norris stopped them by giving them three options: 1. If you call it with my title, I will obliterate you right at this second. 2. If you give it another title, but still make it fight and look like me, then I will spare you, but give you a curse that will slowly drag you to your end. 3. Don't make the game. SEGA choose the second option, and laughed, not believing a single word about the curse that was plagued upon SEGA. They should of listened. I can just picture that happening. Anyway, the story of the game is that you are on the planet Aries, and his brother is king. His father is on planet Paperock. Why do they call it Paperock? because everyone on the planet is the master of Paper Rock Scissors! I couldn't have made that up, even if I tried. The only reason for why Alex Kidd is not on Paperock, is only because only those who are skillful at the Rock, Paper Scissors can live and survive on the planet. But Alex doesn't even know if his father is okay. So you are trying to get to your father, which is the whole objective, I think. I don't know. I never seen Alex go to space anyway. You walk from point a, to point b, like any typical side-scrolling game. However, there are places in the game that you can enter in, and get items. The way how you do that is by playing Rock, Paper, Scissors against your opponent. But before you even try to play the game, you have to pay in cash. For any game of Rock, Paper Scissors, you have to pay in either 50, 10, 150, 500 or more. That is just highway robbery right there, just to play Rock, Paper, Scissors. If that's not enough, there's an audience to watch. Who in the world would want to watch two people play Rock, Paper, Scissors like as if it's some sort of extreme sport? If you win, you get your prize. If you lose, you get smashed by an huge, black ton, wearing red shoes, and growing huge googly eyes, walking away slowly, like some toy that is powered by some crank that you have to twist on its back.. Classic cartoon violence right there. The prizes that you receive are things that you can carry and equip. You equip them by pushing start, and choosing the item you want to equip. The items you equip are a ring that shoots out sonic booms when you kick or punch, a broach that can help you read your opponent's mind when you are playing Rock, Paper, Scissors, a helicopter, a motorcycle, a rod that can make you levitate for a brief period of time, and my favorite, the pogo stick. each and every single one of them are useful, and a lot of fun to use. The story is lame, but yet the game is an absolute gem. I highly recommend this game to be in anyone's library. 4.5/5

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)