Login

So simple....

serfofChrist92

16 year(s) ago

[my little tech comment for today] Today, I came with my dad to work - the network was having some annoying problems and I came to try to fix said problems. Our set up is kind of outdated, and with the current situation, I pretty much fill in as the IT (there's no trained professional on staff). Anyway, we have an old copy of NT Server 4 running for our network server. And for some odd reason, the majority of the computers stopped communicating with the server and were in their own little separate network. In this little separate network bubble, there was no internet connection. So a not-so-techie-minded GM reset the modem hoping it would fix the problem with his workstation's internet; but instead of fixing the internet, it reset all the important configurations I had just set up while on the phone with Verizon on Monday ('twas a new modem/router [with wireless] combo that was just shipped to us). Consequently, most of the network was in it's own little bubble, and the ones that were still working with the server became disconnected from the internet. So first I had to get the internet working...had to call up Verizon and ask them how to do it, since I kind of forgot to write it down before (I learned my lesson, 'tis all documented now). Then my dad and I tried to figure out why the heck the computers wouldn't log into the domain. [As a side note, we discovered that one workstation was constantly trying to login [but failing] from 12am-5am that morning, and had done so a few times earlier this month (it looked a whole lot like a brute-force attack to me). That computer is now running virus scans...] Eventually, I just shut down the NT server to see if the "bubble" computers would still log in to their little...bubble. And they did, so I ran ipconfig on one of them, and saw that the default gateway was set to 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1. So I loaded up the former address in a web browser, and instantly I realized what the problem was. Monday, when I set up the modem from Verizon, I also set up a D-link wireless router up on the other end of the building where the signal strength was too weak for the modem router signal to get to it. When I did that, I configured it with DHCP disabled so as not to conflict with the Verizon modem/router (And I know it was properly configured because I tested everything that day). Well, somehow it became enabled again, and all the computers were being routed to the D-link router instead of the Verizon router. I once again disabled DHCP, and viola! Network fixed. I mentioned a few machines that didn't have problems. They worked, despite the D-link problems, because I had configured them with static IP addresses for OpenSSH (which then is used to tunnel a VNC session for working remotely). My laptop worked because...because it's just cool like that (I actually don't know why, I was even using the D-link's network and it still worked properly). Now, how the D-link's DHCP got enabled, and what was up with the brute force attack from one of the workstations in the middle of the night, I have no idea - but the solution was so simple! If only I had run "ipconfig" on one of the disconnected machines earlier! [img]http://jesusfreak56.us.to/files/emotes_files/gaah.gif[/img] So that's my tech ramble for today. I hope you enjoyed me wasting 5 minutes of your life. :P As a side note, the Verizon modem/router combo has an excellent web-based GUI. I love it! And it even supports WPA and WPA2 authentication, as well as several other nifty features.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)