Login

Star Trek review

Jekkie

15 year(s) ago

First off, let me say that I've never been a big fan of the Star Trek franchise. While the characters seemed interesting, the cheesiness of the original television show put me off as well as the fact that it was all talk and no action. Sure, I like character development and all, but the talking usually stemmed from "should we go or not? LOLZ". This is why I've always found Star Wars to be the superior sci-fi series. However, this may change with the release of JJ Abram's reboot of the Star Trek film franchise. In the first few minutes of the film, I knew this was going to be a completely new type of Star Trek film with the opening of the film starting out with a huge starship battle. Lasers are flying, things are exploding, people are bring thrown out into the voids of space, etc. If I may be so bold, I think this film may have more action in it than the first three original ST films combined. Anyway, from the start we're introduced to our antagonist of the film - Nero, a Romulan with a grudge. <_< The events of the starship battle lead to the death of George Kirk, James Kirk's father. Fast forward a bit and we're slowly introduced to the cast of characters and how they all came together. I found the story to be great and engrossing - not to mention that even people who aren't fans of ST, like myself, will highly enjoy the film. Also, thanks to a certain plot device, you'll find yourself worried about the fates of our heroes. I know I probably sound REALLY vague, but it's hard to not give away the said plot device. Let's just say that fans won't have to worry if the continuity's screwed up. ;) I found the casting to be brilliant as well. Everybody performed brilliantly and Simon Pegg as Scotty was hilarious. Speaking of humor, the movie has a great sense of humor and I think the whole audience burst out laughing at least four of five times. I really don't know what else to say - the cast was just perfect. My only real complaint was that the villains, despite being interesting, were probably only in the film for 15 minutes. Tops. Rating wise, I'd give the film a 9.5, definitely a great film. Abrams has indeed done it and made a show once only for the hard-core now for the causal viewer. Go see this movie now as if raptors were running behind you.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)