Login

Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

javie

15 year(s) ago

Alright, now lets begin with episode 2. I already shared with you guys my hatred on episode 1, and now its time to share with you of what I think about episode 2. This movie starts off with some random attack. I didn't really get it at first, and even today I don't get too much about it. Then it goes off with probably one of the most uninteresting conversations in the film so far. Yoda doesn't say much. He's just left in the background. Its almost as if the producers just forgot that he was in this scene. As a matter in fact, he shows a lot in this movie, but its like they sucked up a lot of life out of him. He's slow, quiet and not as fun as he use to be from the original trilogy. Then comes Anakin and Obi-Wan. I still don't like the choice of Anakin though. He's pretty bland in his conversations. He's quiet and such a slow talker. I honestly thought that Jake Lloyd was bad at first, but this guy wasn't as bad has Jake Lloyd though. He was just the wrong actor for this movie. And right when it came with Padmae, I saw that her acting didn't even improve from the first movie. I got a lot worse. As a matter in fact, let me now talk about these quote on quote "love scenes" with these two. Watching this movie was more like watching a love movie. I mean a really boring love movie. The connections between these two were boring. It was not interesting, and it was not something that Star Wars fans wanted to see at all. Its like you want to pop a balloon in front of them when it came to those two. The other thing that I couldn't understand was what is up with these Jedi's and this rule with not having any relationships? It made no sense to me whatsoever. I mean is it evil to them or something? I do like that they try to put in a lot of Jedi knights to fight in this film. I thought that was fun to watch with all of these different colored light-sabers going into action was pretty cool though. Watching Samuel L. Jackson in this movie as a Jedi Master was not bad, but though I would rather off here him talk out loud as he usually does though. Okay, maybe not though. I really liked his acting in this movie by the way. The other thing that still upset so many people was that there was still the unnecessary use of the CGI effects. I just still don't think that there was any need of these effects whatsoever. But though the story line in this movie was actually more developed than the first. I clearly understood what the story in this was and I actually cared for some parts of it. I just have to forget all of the stupid love scenes. I know that I like the sand people, but I didn't like them in this movie. I thought that they didn't do much at all. I also didn't like the random grudge that Anakin had after his mother's death when he went back home. It didn't make any sense. I get that its a sign of him becoming evil, but still. I find no point of it and it was pretty much useless. I did like the choice of actor for Count Duku. He was actually from the hammer-on Frankenstein movies that were made in the late 60's-early 70's. He's a really good actor. He was even in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. That's right guys, he played as the father/dentist/jerk in that movie. And I hated that movie. Maybe I will share that movie with you guys some other time when I compare it with the original. My only problem with him in this movie though was that he was only in the end of this movie. And that was it. What a let down. I do like the appearance of Jango-fet in this movie by the way. He was pretty much the one who I believe stole this movie for the most part. And when he dies in front of his son, it shows us a sign saying, "guess who's going to be Boba-fet in episode 5 and 6!" I hated the fact that they brought back Jar-Jar Binks. Why did they bring him in this movie for?! He was USELESS!!!!!! And hearing him give out a speech was pretty much one of the most painful things that I have ever heard. I know it was only for a few seconds, but man (both hands on face). In conclusion, this movie was not as good as the original trilogy. It was just boring. This was the most boring Star Wars movie I have ever seen. The romance in this movie took over too much and left out what we liked. And that was more action. They still left out a huge amount of the space battles that could have been of some use. Its so bad that I don't even have the movie at home. I refuse to have it on DVD. It was so boring, that I can't even believe that I even remembered this movie very well. The acting in this one was not even any difference from the first movie, and it was the second biggest let-down that so many Star Wars fans has ever experienced. Yup, after all of that positive stuff that I shared with you guys, I still believed that this movie sucked. And from watching this movie, it made me look back to episode 1 and gave myself a reality check to see and understand how bad of a movie that one was. But comparing episode 2 with episode 1, episode 2 slightly beats it with this result: 2/5 Alright now I'm going to finish my prequel review tomorrow and also get started with Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie.

BrotherReed

15 year(s) ago

Positive stuff, eh? Yeah I think that definitely got lost. I liked this movie a good bit when I first saw it and my appreciation has dropped hugely in hindsight. You may be right about Hayden Christensen not being the best choice for Anakin, but honestly I don't blame him for the atrocities here committed against Star Wars in particular and film in general. Normally, if you showed me a movie whose cast including Liam Neeson, Ewan MacGregor, Natalie Portman and Christopher Lee I would say GET ME TO THE THEATER. These are all really good actors and I think many more of them have the potential to be good. The problem is the writing and directing. First of all, Lucas is not known as an actor's director. He let others direct episodes V and VI and should have followed that trend here. He just can't coax out an interesting performance. Secondly, look at what they had to say! "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth." I dare any thespian to make that sound good. At least we have Natalie Portman looking screaming hot in this. As long as she doesn't open her mouth to belch out any of Lucas' tepid dialog, she's welcome on screen. Plus I enjoyed the arena fight with the beasts. It's nice to see some creative creatures like in the old universe. The sand people incident was not useless to the film. According to Jedi understanding, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to the dark side. We show Anakin giving in to hate and violence which is appropriate as his character moves along. What's more problematic is that this isn't given MORE attention in this movie, because his change of character ends up being far too abrupt in the first half of episode III. So... yeah. The scenes that don't involve explosions and lightsabres are embarrassingly painful to watch. It'd be one thing if they were just uninteresting but it really makes you want to walk away. Padame and Anakin's relationship is not believable for a second and their struggle has no weight. Which is terrible because in the end it's supposed to be Anakin's great motivation and regret. Instead he's just really angsty, and she shows exceedingly poor judgment throwing in with him. Basically what I'm trying to say is that any time Yoda isn't flipping out and killing people, the movie is balls.

javie

15 year(s) ago

The only problem that this movie suffers is the lack of action this movie had. I mean yeah, it did have some, I'm not saying that it didn't. But this movie barely used any of it, and left this movie into a forgettable sequel in the saga. I never said that any of these people were bad actors either. I was just explaining that they chose the right people, but with bad acting in a film that could have been a great one to look back at.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)