Login

Taking Picture of the Fed\'s could put you to Jail

javie

15 year(s) ago

[quote]As usual, I’m confused, which always happens when people say one thing but do another. Take the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. A recent YouTube video suggested that bank officials didn’t like their new headquarters building being photographed. Maybe it was the arrest threats that led me to that conclusion. But when I asked bank spokesman Tim Todd, he claimed that taking pictures was “perfectly fine.” “We have people come and take pictures of the statues all the time,” Todd said. OK. But then why were two cameramen from Texas hassled this month when they were in town filming a documentary? “We were there only about five or 10 minutes outside the bank,” Rob Jacobson said. Then he and Aaron Dykes pulled up to neighboring Liberty Memorial for another angle. Two guards showed up and said that bank officials were concerned. When Dykes refused to give his last name and cited his right to take pictures of a public building, he and Jacobson (who did identify himself) were given a choice. “You go to jail or you can leave,” one of the guards says on the video, which plays into the worst fears of paranoid wingnuts. “The footage you’re about to see should make the stomach churn, should make you nauseous if you love freedom,” rants the moderator, radio show host/conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, on the video. Jones goes on to call the two guards “thugs” and says: “This is the death of America that you’re witnessing on this tape.” That’s just a tad over the top. And Jones misidentifies the guards as working for the bank. They’re employed by the National World War I Museum. But it does raise this question: If there’s nothing illegal or wrong about taking pictures of the bank building from a public sidewalk or a public park, then why does the bank’s security force get antsy when cameras point their way? Why not be upfront about obvious security concerns? “The Federal Reserve called us and said, “You’ve got some suspicious people on your property,’ ” said Denise Rendina, vice president of communications for the museum and Liberty Memorial. Nor was it the first time the bank has called about photographers, said Patrick Raymond, head of security at Liberty Memorial. It’s happened often enough that Raymond considered the April 10 call routine. When I got back to Todd on all this, he declined to discuss the incident but said the bank is always willing to extend a helping hand to its neighbors. “If our security sees anything usual, we let (them) know.” And please don’t forget, he said, “certainly people can take pictures.” As for what happens afterward, I guess you take your chances. @ For a link to the YouTube video, go to Kansas City.com. To reach Mike Hendricks, call 816-234-7708 or send e-mail to mhendricks@kcstar.com. Posted on Thu, Apr. 23, 2009 10:15 PM Buzz UpYahoo Buzz ShareBookmark and Share EmailEmail PrintPrint Comment (0)Comment Report comment as: (required) X Remarks: (optional) Join the discussion Share your observations and experiences about news. Lively, open, civil debate is the goal. Please refrain from personal attacks or comments that are racist, vulgar or otherwise inappropriate. If you see an inappropriate comment, please click the "Report as abuse" link.[/quote] http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/1159485.html And I know some of you hate it whenever I post something that comes right from Alex Jones, but this was the best footage I could find about this being true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TVfUVRsOZE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Einfowars%2Ecom%2Ftaking%2Dfeds%2Dphoto%2Dmay%2Dbe%2Dtaking%2Da%2Dchance%2F&feature=player_embedded

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)