Login

The Catholic Church Accepts Evolution

javie

15 year(s) ago

[quote]VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – Pope Benedict told a gathering of scientists including the British cosmologist Stephen Hawking on Friday that there was no contradiction between believing in God and empirical science. Benedict, who briefly met the wheelchair-bound physicist at an event hosted by the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, described science as the pursuit of knowledge about God's creation. "There is no opposition between faith's understanding of creation and the evidence of the empirical sciences," the pontiff said. "Galileo saw nature as a book whose author is God." The Catholic Church found the 17th-century astronomer Galileo guilty of heresy for insisting the earth revolved around the sun. It did not rehabilitate him until 1992. Hawking is a guest at the week-long event, which will explore the theme: "Scientific Insights into the Evolution of the Universe and of Life." In an interview with Reuters last year, Hawking said he was "not religious in the normal sense." "I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science," he said. "The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws." [u]The Catholic Church teaches "theistic evolution," which accepts evolution as scientific theory. Proponents see no reason why God could not have used an evolutionary process in forming the human species.[/u] The Pontiff admired the technology that allows Hawking to speak through a voice synthesizer. Hawking is crippled by a muscle disease and has lost the use of his natural voice. Hawking, author of the best-selling "A Brief History of Time," will speak about the origin of the universe at the closed-door event.[/quote] http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_pope_hawking I always knew that Pope was up to no good.

diduknow

15 year(s) ago

it may be old but it does show how the catholic church will go along with anything to become more popular. it is definately a false church. always has been and always will be.

Swinny89

15 year(s) ago

[b]javie wrote:[/b] [quote][quote]VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – Pope Benedict told a gathering of scientists including the British cosmologist Stephen Hawking on Friday that there was no contradiction between believing in God and empirical science. Benedict, who briefly met the wheelchair-bound physicist at an event hosted by the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, described science as the pursuit of knowledge about God's creation. "There is no opposition between faith's understanding of creation and the evidence of the empirical sciences," the pontiff said. "Galileo saw nature as a book whose author is God." The Catholic Church found the 17th-century astronomer Galileo guilty of heresy for insisting the earth revolved around the sun. It did not rehabilitate him until 1992. Hawking is a guest at the week-long event, which will explore the theme: "Scientific Insights into the Evolution of the Universe and of Life." In an interview with Reuters last year, Hawking said he was "not religious in the normal sense." "I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science," he said. "The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws." [u]The Catholic Church teaches "theistic evolution," which accepts evolution as scientific theory. Proponents see no reason why God could not have used an evolutionary process in forming the human species.[/u] The Pontiff admired the technology that allows Hawking to speak through a voice synthesizer. Hawking is crippled by a muscle disease and has lost the use of his natural voice. Hawking, author of the best-selling "A Brief History of Time," will speak about the origin of the universe at the closed-door event.[/quote] http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_pope_hawking I always knew that Pope was up to no good.[/quote] What is wrong with this? Pope sounds right on in my opinion.

TheMessenger

15 year(s) ago

Forgot to add- here is the Hail Mary- not how printed in the Bible: "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. " I'll have to find you the verse in the Bible with that- can't think of it off the top of my head.

TheMessenger

15 year(s) ago

The prayer isn't directly written in the Bible in its exact words. It's derived from a verse. Which I HAVE read before. I'm looking to find it again.

MisterNathan

15 year(s) ago

[b]TheMessenger wrote:[/b] [quote]The prayer isn't directly written in the Bible in its exact words. It's derived from a verse. Which I HAVE read before. I'm looking to find it again.[/quote] Basically, the first half of the "prayer" is an introduction, and is the only part loosely based on the Bible. The whole "Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen." is completely made up and is contrary to any biblical teaching.

diduknow

15 year(s) ago

the catholic church accepts anything to make people fell good and make them popular. they are even trying to teach that islam and christianity is the same.

cookiedough28

15 year(s) ago

[b]diduknow wrote:[/b] [quote]the catholic church accepts anything to make people fell good and make them popular. they are even trying to teach that islam and christianity is the same.[/quote] Ohhhhhh kaaaaaaay.... So, ummm... where ya getting your information? Cuz that is so not true. And yes, the Bible does make reference to a round earth but no, not everyone thinks the world is 10,000 years old. That's insane. Science tells us very differently.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)