Login

The Extras in the Original Star Wars Trilogy

javie

15 year(s) ago

Right now, you guys have been wondering what I think about the extras that George Lucas put in episodes 4, 5 and 6. I know that there are so many fans who have taken this as an upset for the past few years in re-releasing these movies in DVD and VHS, but I would like to go into my review of what I think about them. Because there were a few that I though that were necessary to the movies, but there were also some that should be left out. The firs thing that so many fans noticed was in the intro to episode 4 when the letters start to scroll up to tell the story. In the original, the movie was only entitle Star Wars. Back then, no one knew that there were going to be more than one at the time. so George Lucas thought that he would want to add in Episode 4: A New Hope. I would approve of that. The next scene was when R2-D2 and C-3PO first lands in Tattoween. I know I didn't spell it right, only because I don't know how to. But anyways, right after they landed, you see Storm Troopers searching the escape pod that both R2-D2 and C-3PO was in. I didn't know that this was an extra at first, but then I was all like, "what purpose does this scene serve?" Then I realized that this was to show that there were Storm Troopers searching the planet. Maybe because Lucas didn't want to feel as if he just left out the Imperials, thinking that they weren't there for random purpose in the first place. I don't know, I really didn't watch the comentary on any of these films. The next part was when Obi-Wan and Luke were riding in the city on their planet. I didn't think that this part was needed to be in the movie to begin with. it shows no build-up to the story, nor does it support it. The only reason why this is in the film is to show how busy the city is. And that's pretty much it. Alright, now we get into the biggest controversy of them all. Han Shot First. I have no idea why anyone calls it that. If you watch the original for this scene, you can see that Han was the only one who shoots. Basically, this scene was taken out from old western movies, such as The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Then in 1997 for its re-release, they just use computer generators to make it look like Han casually moves his head out of place while he is sitting down. It looked like computer graphics at its worst, even for around its time. It didn't look human at all. Then in 2005, you would expect George Lucas to change it and get rid of that idea. But nope, he only improved it. I still think that the first one was still better though. Then you have the next scene where Han speaks to Jabba the Hut. In 1997, George Lucas thought about putting in special effects on Jabba for some reason. He looks pail green, and non-presentable. In Return of the Jedi, they didn't use the special effects for him at all. It was just some guy in a huge rubber suit being Jabba. In 2005, they then improved it by changing him brown. I still don't understand why they didn't stick with the first, because there was no need for it. And that is pretty much of all I could remember on this film. In episode 5, there wasn't much that I remembered, nor do I remember as many. The only scene that I do remember was the Yeti in the beginning eating that thing that Luke was riding on. I didn't really care for it as much when I first saw it. And even today I don't. That's pretty much it. Alright, lets jump into hyper-speed into episode 6. Alright, the first one is probably the worst I have ever seen. The dance scene in Jabba the Hut's Palace looks really bad and really random. I hated every single second of it. Except for the blue elephant. I like him for some reason. But you know what, he's not a blue elephant. I don't know what he is. Then we com across to the end right after Luke burns Darth Vader's corps. You know, that one scene in the end where they show every planet celebrating the defeat of the imperials. The one thing that strikes to so many fans is the part where they show us Naboo. You can't see him, but you can here Jar Jar Binks loud and clear in the background. It's more of an insult than this: [IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Star_Warz_Geek/Star%20Wars-%20Episode%201/75c1c761.jpg[/IMG] That is for those of you who looked up my review of episode 1. Then it comes to the very last part of the movie where it shows the ghost of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin. On the original, they just selected some guy to show what Anakin might have looked like before he became Darth Vader. In the 2005 release, they used Anakin from episode 3 to show us what he's going to look like in the movie. At the time, Episode 3 wasn't out, so George Lucas thought that it would be necessary to replace the old guy with the new one. My dad was surprised of how he was going to look like in the upcoming Star Wars movie, and so was I. Some people had problems with scene whether or not if this was a necessary thing to do. And even today, some people would rather have the old guy back in this movie. I, in the other hand, think that this was necessary to do so, and also believe that this should stay how it is. Well, that's about it. My review on Star Wars is over. I didn't want to do a review on the trilogy, only because I believe that it doesn't need any. I believe that they speak for themselves. I'm just glad that this is over. My next review is coming up, and I'm not going to say what it is, just so I won't spoil it. But that's about it for Star Wars. So May the force be with you. Always.

BrotherReed

15 year(s) ago

The reason that they did what they did with Jabba in episode IV is explained in the special features. originally the scene was shot with Harrison Ford talking to a portly fellow who was a human actor. He was replaced by the CG Jabba, but the Jabba of Return of the Jedi was far too large to fit in that space. Han Solo encircles the human character as they speak and so he would have gone right through the larger Jabba character. Their solution: make a cgi monster that looks kind of like Jabba but smaller, and put the scene in the trilogy, instead of leaving it out as it clearly wasn't needed. I actually have no gripes with the rest of the upgrades to A New Hope, except of course Greedo Shoots First. Which is ridiculous. I made sure to buy the two-disc collector's edition DVD that has the original print of the film on it, so I can see it the way it was supposed to be. However that disc is a non-anamorphic transfer that didn't get the love it deserved. Lucas is ignorant of the cultural phenomenon he created. He obviously fails to understand what made it great and why people loved it. Empire has no really noticeable upgrades because honestly it didn't need any. The original cut of the film is a remarkable improvement from A New Hope, and for something made in 1980 looks and sounds phenomenal. As such, it's the least hurt by the changes. Nevertheless, in the most recent version the scene where Darth Vader speaks to the Emperor on the holodeck is changed. The original actor was replaced with Ian McDiarmid - the Emperor of the rest of the series. Some lines are changed, but worse, that actor is now removed from the trilogy. Sad :( Honestly I haven't even watched Jedi recently enough to be appalled at the changes. I only really remember the 1997 special edition cause it's the one I've seen the most. But I do have the original cut and will watch it soon.

KattyKit

15 year(s) ago

Everyone loves the blue elephant, dude.

BrotherReed

15 year(s) ago

Oh yeah, btw, the blue elephant is Max Rebo. And he is great.

javie

15 year(s) ago

Max Rebo! that's his name. I remember they made fun of him on Robot Chicken, making a commercial of him as if he already made an album. His number one song on that album was "I'm not a Blue Elephant."

KattyKit

15 year(s) ago

My mom says she likes the blue elephant thing because it reminds her of the elephant on The Island of Misfit Toys from Rudolph.

javie

15 year(s) ago

Oh yeah. I know what you mean. Man, who knew that blue elephant would become such an icon?

javie

15 year(s) ago

He even has his own band in action figure form [IMG]http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt127/buy_me_toys/BOlfrwB2kKGrHgoH-CYEjlLl9odTBJvYcyz.jpg[/IMG]

KattyKit

15 year(s) ago

lol Schweet!

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)