Login

The Monotheism of Paul

barry

17 year(s) ago

The apostle Paul wrote most of the New Testament, in a series of 14 epistles. Who was this Paul? He was an Israelite by birth, of the tribe of Benjamin, thoroughly grounded in the teachings of the Torah that G-d gave to Israel. As with any Israelite male who was serious about obeying the Torah, Paul was fiercely monotheistic. From a child, his parents, as with any believing Israelite parents, would have drummed into his head the central creed of Israel. His upbringing, education, and conduct were in accordance with this creed of Israel which is recited multiple times daily: [b]Deuteronomy 6:4 – “Hear O Israel, the L-rd is our G-d, the L-rd is one” [/b] Paul grew up in this tradition, and his conversion to accepting Yeshua the Messiah did not change his dedication to monotheism. Indeed, Paul's writings are expressly monotheistic, and in some instances, starkly clear that there is one G-d, G-d the Father, and one Messiah, the man Yeshua. As Paul went around preaching in the various synagogues, he preached monotheism. Had he preached that there were two G-d’s, or two members of a "G-d family," or three G-d’s, or a three-person G-d, he would have been stoned to death in accordance with the law. Paul's enemies were many. They would certainly have seized on this opportunity to rid themselves of Paul had Paul been teaching polytheism. But they had no such opportunity, for Paul taught strict monotheism, in accordance with his heritage as a Torah observant Israelite. In fact, what he was accused of was teaching that you need not obey the teaching of the one G-d, itself a lie. The Children of Israel were known throughout the world as a nation that was monotheistic to the core; Israel would not tolerate the worship of any other G-d. [b]Exodus 20:2-3 – “I am the L-rd, your G-d, which has brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shall have no other gods before me.”[/b] Matthew’s gospel was strictly monotheistic. Mark’s gospel spoke of only one G-d. Luke’s gospel made no reference to multiple G-d’s. John’s gospel made clear references to the Israelite creed of monotheism. None of these gospel accounts even hinted at divine plurality. If Paul had written epistles that introduced the concept of polytheism (more than one G-d, or a G-d of three), his fellow Israelites would have rejected his gospel, and indeed, would have had grounds for stoning him under the law. Given Paul’s background, and the nature of the strong beliefs of his audience, we would have a strong expectation that Paul would preach a message that was completely monotheistic in nature. Indeed, this is so. Paul's epistles are riddled with monotheistic teachings: [b]Romans 1:3 – “It concerns his Son - he is descended from David physically; he was powerfully demonstrated to be Son of G-d spiritually, set apart by his having been resurrected from the dead; he is Yeshua the Messiah, our Master.”[/b] Paul begins his first letter by describing how our Messiah, Yeshua was a created being. He was flesh, a descendant of David. This teaching is consistent with the creed of Israel. Paul teaches that the promised Messiah, a man sent by the only G-d, was Yeshua of Nazareth. [b]Romans 1:8 - "First, I thank my G-d through Yeshua the Messiah for all of you."[/b] Paul identifies clearly who his G-d is, by making a distinction between G-d the Father, and Yeshua the Messiah. Paul states that his G-d is G-d the Father. He gives thanks through Yeshua, but to his G-d. Thus we see that Paul did not believe the Yeshua was G-d, but that there was one G-d, G-d the Father. [b]Romans 1:25 – “They have exchanged the truth of G-d for falsehood, by worshipping and serving created things, rather than the Creator - praised be he for ever. Amen.”[/b] Paul identifies G-d as the Creator. This same G-d is the Father of Yeshua, and is the same G-d that Paul called "my G-d" in verse 8. Paul is saying that his G-d, who is G-d the Father, is the Creator G-d, the G-d of the Old Testament. And Paul makes the point very clear. Man has in the past and will in the future worship what was created instead of the One who created. [b]Romans 5:15 -"But the free gift is not like the offence. For if, because of one man's offence, many died, then how much more has G-d's grace, that is, the gracious gift of one man, Yeshua the Messiah, overflowed to many!"[/b] Again and again, Paul draws a distinction been G-d and the man Messiah Yeshua. When he refers to G-d in his epistles, Paul ALWAYS means G-d the Father. He frequently refers to Yeshua as a man, but NEVER calls him the creator. [b]Romans 8:11 - "And if the Spirit of the One who raised Yeshua from the dead is living in you, then the One who raised the Messiah Yeshua from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit living in you."[/b] The same G-d that raised the man Yeshua from the dead will also raise us from the dead. When the man Yeshua died, he would have stayed dead unless G-d his Father raised him from the dead. Thus it is with all men. We do not have life inherent within us; we exist at the pleasure and by the power of G-d our Father who will raise us from the dead, just as he did for our elder brother Yeshua. [b]Romans 8:17 - "and if we are children, then we are also heirs, heirs of G-d and joint-heirs with the Messiah - provided we are suffering with him in order also to be glorified with him."[/b] We are called "children" and "joint-heirs" with Messiah. As Yeshua was, so shall we be. An heir is not G-d, but rather G-d's creation. Just as Yeshua was raised from the dead and entered into the Kingdom of G-d, so shall we. Just as we were not G-d before our human birth, neither was Yeshua. [b]Romans 10:9 - "that if you acknowledge publicly with your mouth that Yeshua is master and trust in your heart that G-d raised him from the dead, you will be delivered.”[/b] Paul draws the distinction between G-d [the Father] who did the raising from the dead, and Yeshua, who was raised from the dead. The immortal G-d raised Yeshua from the dead. Why? Because the man Yeshua was mortal, and DIED. G-d cannot die. G-d is immortal. Paul teaches us that Yeshua was not G-d. [b]Romans 15:6 - "so that with one accord and with one voice you may glorify the G-d and Father of our Master, Yeshua the Messiah."[/b] Paul clarifies that when he refers to "G-d," he means G-d the Father. He NEVER calls Yeshua G-d. Paul's monotheism is declared every time he uses the word "G-d" in his epistles. For Paul, there was but one G-d, the G-d of the Torah, the Creator. [b]Romans 16:27 - "to the only wise G-d, through Yeshua the Messiah, be the glory forever and ever! Amen.”[/b] Paul ends his first epistle by dedicating it to "only wise G-d," through Yeshua our mediator and drawing a distinction been his G-d and Yeshua the Messiah. For Paul, there was but one G-d, the Father and one mediator between that G-d and Man, Yeshua.

barry

17 year(s) ago

Master = 1. a male teacher. 2. a revered religious leader. 3. a worker or artisan qualified to teach apprentices . 4. a great figure. 5. one having authority over another. 6. one that conquers. 7. a presiding officer in an institution or society. [b]1 Corinthians 1:3 - "Grace to you and shalom from G-d our Father and the Master Yeshua the Messiah."[/b] The Father is always referred to as G-d. The son Yeshua is never referred to as G-d. It is always, the Messiah, Master Yeshua. [b]1 Corinthians 1:4 - "I thank my G-d always for you because of G-d's love and kindness given to you through the Messiah Yeshua."[/b] Notice Paul gives thanks to G-d and not Yeshua for the love given by G-d to them and not givin by Yeshua but through. Yeshua is the go between, the mediator. [b]1 Corinthians1:30 - "It is G-d's doing that you are united with the Messiah Yeshua. He has become wisdom for us from G-d, and righteousness and holiness and redemption as well![/b] You can see plainly that he (Yeshua) became wisdom from G-d. Became does not mean he always was. A trinitarian thinking Paul would have wrote "He was wisdom for us as G-d.” But Paul knew who the Father was and knew G-d created the Messiah and that Messiah became wisdom from G-d for us. [b]1 Corinthians 4:6 "I have used myself and Apollos as examples to teach you not to go beyond what the Tanakh says."[/b] Great verse. To try and prove a trinity you always have to go beyond what the Scripture says. This should stand as a warning. [b]1 Corinthians 8:6 - "yet for us there is one G-d, the Father, from whom all things come and for whom we exist; and one Master, Yeshua the Messiah, through whom were created all things and through whom we have our being.[/b] This is plain speech, not theological stretching. Paul states categorically that there is only one G-d, and then identifies him clearly as G-d the Father. No nuances, no wiggle room. Just a plain declaration identifying the one true G-d. [b]1 Corinthian 15:15 - "furthermore, we are shown up as false witnesses for G-d in having testified that G-d raised up the Messiah, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised."[/b] G-d the Father raised up Messiah from the dead. G-d (immortal) rose up Messiah (mortal). Who was G-d, the immortal one, or the mortal one? [b]1 Corinthian 15:21 - "For since death came through a man, also the resurrection of the dead has come through a man.” [/b] Paul continually describes Yeshua as man, not G-d. This is consistent with Yeshua himself, who described himself more than 80 times in the New Testament as "the son of man." [b]1 Corinthians 15:24 - "then the culmination, when he hands over the Kingdom to G-d the Father, after having put an end to every rulership, yes, to every authority and power."[/b] Time and time again we see Paul refer to one G-d who alone is the Father. Here he tells us that Messiah’s reign too will cease as he hands all back to his G-d. What at pointless act if Yeshua where G-d himself. [b]1 Corinthians 15:47 - "The first man is from the earth, made of dust; the second man is from heaven."[/b] Another so called “proof text” as people say “look he is from heaven and therefore G-d.” Look at the context! What is Paul talking about? The resurrection! At the resurrection of the dead where is Yeshua coming from? The Earth or the Heavens! This is not talking about His birth, but rather his second coming. What people choose to ignore here is Paul calling him a man. [b]1 Corinthians 15:57 - "but thanks be to G-d, who gives us the victory through our Master Yeshua, the Messiah[/b]!" Thanks to whom? G-d or Yeshua? Thanks to G-d for the victory givin through the man Yeshua, our brother, master, and mediator. [b]2 Corinthians 1:2 - "Grace to you and shalom from G-d our Father and the Master Yeshua, the Messiah."[/b] Paul begins nearly all of his epistles by telling us that G-d is our Father, and by drawing a distinction between G-d, and the man Yeshua. [b]2 Corinthians 1:3 - "Blessed be the G-d and Father of our Master Yeshua the Messiah"[/b] Notice is says “G-d and Father of Yeshua,” NOT “Blessed be our G-d and Father, Yeshua.” Yet again we have a distinction. [b]2 Corinthians 4:4 - "They do not come to trust because the god of the 'olam hazeh has blinded their minds, in order to prevent them from seeing the light shining from the Good News about the glory of the Messiah, who is the image of G-d."[/b] Image = a tangible or visible representation of something . Yeshua is not what is being represented, but a visible representation of. Is the reflection in a mirror the image or a reflection? [b]2 Corinthians 4:14 - "because we know that he who raised the Master Yeshua will also raise us with Yeshua and bring us along with you into his presence."[/b] G-d the Father who raised his son Yeshua will also raise us from the dead. [b]2 Corinthians 5:21 "G-d made this sinless man be a sin offering on our behalf, so that in union with him we might fully share in G-d's righteousness."[/b] How many times does Paul need to make the distinction between G-d the Creator and the made man Yeshua before we realize the truth? Why is it we will cling to a few misunderstood verses when the majority say something completely different? [b]2 Corinthians 6:16-18 - "What agreement can there be between the temple of G-d and idols? For we are the temple of the living G-d - as G-d said, ‘I will house myself in them, and I will walk among you. I will be their G-d, and they will be my people.’ Therefore ADONAI says, ‘Go out from their midst; separate yourselves; don't even touch what is unclean. Then I myself will receive you. In fact, I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters.’ says ADONAI-Tzva'ot."[/b] This is quoted from the book of Ezekiel: [b]Ezekiel 37:26-28 - "Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore. My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their G-d, and they shall be my people. And the heathen shall know that I G-d do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.”[/b] Notice that Paul's quote from the prophet Ezekiel identifies the G-d of the Old Testament, as G-d the Father. You will notice also from reading Ezekiel that this is a time that has not happened yet. So to say Yeshua walked “with us” and equate that as him being G-d does not fit into the text. [b]2 Corinthians 11:31 - "G-d the Father of the Master Yeshua - blessed be he forever - knows that I am not lying!" [/b] Well after the resurrection of Yeshua, Paul's G-d is not Yeshua. But rather Yeshua’s G-d, and Father.

MisterNathan

17 year(s) ago

Why then did Paul state that Jesus was equal with God in Philippians 2? I feel terrible for making such a small post after two long and well thought posts lol. Forgive me.

barry

17 year(s) ago

No worries MisterNathan, we will get there. We can not take one verse and let it define the whole rest of the book. No issues with the first three letters covered?

MisterNathan

17 year(s) ago

Ohhh, didn't even click that you were going book by book lol. I'll comment when you're done. :)

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)